INDIGNEZ-VOUS! conference billed as alternative to government agenda

Canadian author and activist Maude Barlow is National Chairperson of the Council of Canadians, Canada’s largest citizens’ organization.

The upcoming INDIGNEZ-VOUS! HOPE IN RESISTANCE conference is focused on providing an alternative to the Conservative government’s agenda, according to Maude Barlow, the national chairperson of the Council of Canadians.
“We are very keen to build a closer working relationship between progressive forces in Quebec and the rest of Canada, so that together we can move forward with an alternative vision for all,” she said. “The people of Quebec clearly identified themselves as progressive in the last election and we need to build on this momentum together.”
The council hopes to address the social injustices and inequalities Canadians face on a daily basis at the conference taking place on Oct. 21-22 at the Marriott Chateau Champlain Hotel.
Held in collaboration with several Quebec and First Nations organizations, as well as student and labour groups, the two-day event is slated to tackle various issues that affect Canadians and Quebecers alike with an emphasis put on building solutions through a progressive movement.
Panels will focus on protecting democracy, equality, the environment, public services and civil liberties with social change on national and provincial levels. One of the many issues emphasized is the growing gap between the rich and poor, which goes hand in hand with the Occupy movement currently in motion.
The council has officially declared their support for the demonstrations, which has people across the world rallying to voice concerns over issues such as corporate greed and financial inequality.
“I am thrilled that our conference is taking place so soon after the launch of the Occupy World movement and we will be marching to the Montreal site several times and providing support and solidarity there,” explained Barlow. “We join this movement in saying that workers, students, retired people and the unemployed should not have to carry the burden and pay the price for a crisis made by the private sector, for the benefit of the private sector and aided and abetted by most governments around the world.”
Barlow extended the invitation to Concordia University students, emphasizing that all students are welcome to attend the conference. 

A free public forum will take place Friday, Oct. 21 from 7 to 9:30 p.m.
For more information about the conference, visit www.canadians.org/about/AGM/