Sports briefs

Men’s hockey
Concordia 3 McGill 2 (OT)

After a 3-2 shootout loss to UQTR on Wednesday, the Concordia Stingers got back on track with a huge win against defending CIS national champion McGill.
The Redmen came in to the game ranked second in the CIS, and boasted a 10 game winning streak against the Stingers.
Concordia’s Mike Stinziani took a tripping penalty just 1:22 into the game. McGill’s potent capitalized just 23 seconds into the man advantage and put Concordia in a hole early.
Kyle Armstrong answered for the Stingers just over five minutes later and the game remained tied until late in the second period.
With the clock ticking down on the second frame George Lovatsis gave Concordia a huge boost, scoring with just 13 seconds left in the period, giving the team momentum into intermission.
Despite a stellar play by Stinger goalie Nicholas Champion, McGill tied the game just four minutes into the third.
With the Stingers looking for a hero it was Alexis Piette who answered the call. Piette scored the winning goal halfway through overtime to hand McGill their second defeat in a row.
Champion was outstanding again for Concordia and his .930 save percentage is the third best in the CIS.
The Stingers will face the Redmen again this Friday at 7 p.m. at McGill.

Women’s hockey
Carleton 4 Concordia 2

Concordia lost their second game in a row to the Carleton Ravens, falling 4-2 on the road this weekend.
Down 3-0 late in the second period, Alyssa Sherrard and Catherine Rancourt scored within 30 seconds of each other to bring Concordia back in striking distance.
The Stingers just couldn’t beat Carleton goalie Victoria Powers in the third period, and as a result suffered their third loss of the season.
Concordia’s next game is Friday night at Université de Montréal.

Women’s soccer
Concordia 0 UQAM 0
Concordia 5 Bishop’s 0

The Concordia soccer team enjoyed their most successful weekend of the season playing to a draw and picking up a win against both UQAM and Bishop’s.
Concordia tied UQAM 0-0 on Friday night, with goalkeeper Brittany O’Rourke posting her second clean sheet of the season.
On Saturday, a Stingers team that had only scored nine goals all season exploded offensively. The Stingers thrashed the Bishop’s Gaiters 5-0, picking up their second win of the year. Emily Hubbard recorded a goal and an assist for Concordia.
The Stingers at 2-7-3 are eliminated from playoff contention and will play their remaining two games next week against Sherbrooke on the road, and finishing at home on Sunday, Oct. 30 against McGill.

Men’s soccer
UQAM 1 Concordia 0

Concordia’s nightmarish season continued Friday night against UQAM. The Stingers lost their sixth game in a row, falling 1-0 to UQAM.
Concordia has been outscored 17-1 in the six-game span and hasn’t scored a goal in a month, since a Sept. 23, 3-1 loss to Montreal.
Concordia sits in dead last in the RSEQ conference and is awaiting their season to draw to its merciful conclusion next week on the road against Sherbrooke on Friday, before playing their season finale at home to McGill on Sunday.