Home CommentaryStudent Life Breakfast worth waking up for

Breakfast worth waking up for

by The Concordian November 8, 2011
Breakfast worth waking up for
Start the day with a warm sausage skillet omelet at Quoi de n’eouf

Late night? There’s nothing like some good breakfast to cure that foggy morning-after feeling, and there’s no better excuse to kick a stranger out of your bed. When your stomach is growling loud enough to wake you up, call a friend and try one of these delicious brunch spots around the city. From homemade crepes to egg skillet omelets, there’s something to satisfy both your sweet or salty tooth.
Greasy, fruity, meaty, cheesy? No matter what your morning eating habits are, Montreal has something to beat that breakfast craving.
Quoi de n’oeuf
There’s nothing better than a cozy breakfast joint where the staff never changes and your coffee cup is never empty. Although Quoi de n’oeuf is busy on weekends, with families, couples and lone wolves enjoying a newspaper by themselves, it’s a down-to-earth crowd that’s never too loud or overwhelming. The waiters are charming and the service is quick – hey, nothing is worse than waiting around for eggs and toast. The breakfast is way more than just the basics, though, and their home fries are perfect; crispy, spiced and not too greasy. For me, they’re some of the best in the city!
Mimosas are a signature addition to breakfast at Quoi de n’oeuf, so be sure to enjoy a morning toast if you’re not working off one too many from the night before. My only wish is that the coffee was more than just an average cup o’ Joe; I think a bolder signature blend would make Quoi de n’oeuf absolutely perfect.
Must-try: Skillet omelets. They make it hard to order regular eggs ever again. Imagine a deep dish of veggies, meats, eggs, hollandaise sauce and cheese. They’re a little heavy, so try sharing one with a side order of home fries or fruit. Think twice if: You’re craving sweet. Quoi de n’oeuf has more salty options and not many dessert-type breakfasts (nothing whipped or chocolate-stuffed).
Expect to pay: Around $10- $12 per person, coffee included with most plates.
Location: 2745 Notre-Dame St. W.
(514) 931-3999
Monday – Saturday 7 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Sunday 8 a.m. – 3 p.m.

Toi, moi et café
Toi, moi et café is famous for serving some of the best coffee you can buy without a passport, but their tasty breakfast menu is sometimes overlooked. It’s not dirt cheap, but the café’s fresh and decadent plates are definitely worth the little splurge.
Before anything, order the latte bowl. It’s a frothy, luxurious coffee experience that’s worth every cent.
As for the plates, the options are straightforward: delicious meaty and cheesy omelets (choices with chorizo, ham and bacon are plenty). If you’re a vegetarian, try La Forestière with wild mushrooms and asparagus. For something that you might not find elsewhere in Montreal, order Le Parisien. It doesn’t sound like anything special on the menu, but you’ll be pleased when it arrives in front of you, and your neighbour will be envious. Crispy baguette slices made for dipping in two soft boiled eggs, with the perfect mild and creamy cheese slices to add to each bite. Finger food for breakfast? Oui, oui!
Must-try: The exotic brews of java – become a coffee connoisseur and have everyone at the table order something different. They’re also available for sale!
Think twice if: You’re on a strict budget. Don’t expect any $6 breakfast plates, and the coffee isn’t bottomless, so you’ll be paying if you want more.
Expect to pay: Between $20 and $25 per person.
Location: 2695 Notre-Dame St. W.
(514) 788-9599
Hours: Mon – Fri 7 a.m. – 11:30 p.m., Sat-Sun 8 a.m. – 11:30 p.m.
Breakfast served until 3 p.m.
Figaro
A hip little establishment settled in the Plateau on Hutchison Street, Figaro is actually a “croissanterie” and not strictly a breakfast joint. A vintage portable oven is installed around the counter and adds a historic touch to Figaro, which has been open since the early ‘80s. It might be nestled in a quiet corner of the Plateau, but you won’t get lost trying to find this place. The smell of fresh croissants is intoxicating and occupies most of the block. The best part? The food is as good as it smells.
Breakfast sandwiches are the star attraction at Figaro; ham, egg and cheese are melted onto a fresh, buttery croissant.
Various other croissants offer vegetarian or cheese-filled options. For something sweet and decadent, try the sweet almond paste croissant. You’ll want to order more than one, though, because it’s inevitably something that will be passed around the table.
Tables are nice and cozy inside, and the Paris-inspired terrace is a great spot in the summer.
Must-try: Any of the homemade croissants – flaky, soft and mouthwatering.
Think twice if: You’re looking for something more substantial.
Expect to pay: Between $10-$15 per person.
Location: 5200 Hutchison St.
(514) 278-6567
Hours: Mon-Sun 7 a.m. – 1 a.m.