City in brief Nov. 8

Striking McGill support staff pickets at Loyola
The McGill University Non-Academic Certified Association formed a picket line outside of Concordia’s PERFORM Centre on Sherbrooke Street last Friday. Handing out informational pamphlets with an image of McGill principal Heather Munroe-Blum on them, MUNACA was at Loyola the same day as the inauguration of the university’s PERFORM and Genomics centres. In an interview, MUNACA’s VP finance David Kalant said that the workers’ union chose to protest at Loyola because they had heard that politicians would be attending the PERFORM Centre’s inauguration. Kalant said the workers’ union also came out to support Concordia’s trades union, which held a one-day strike on Sept. 7. 

ConU’s University Registrar steps down
University registrar Laura Stanbra will be leaving Concordia as of Dec. 9 after five months in office. Stanbra was appointed as registrar at the end of last June, replacing Linda Healey, who had held the position for 10 years prior. According to the university website, Stanbra has worked at the university in various capacities since 1985. Associate registrar Terry Too is acting university registrar until someone else is appointed.

Taking the trolley to Loyola
The 105 bus on Sherbrooke Street in Notre-Dame-de-Grâce, a frequently used method of transportation for students between Vendôme metro station and Loyola, was listed as one of the most likely bus lines to be converted into a trolley system in a preliminary analysis by the Société de transport de Montréal. The analysis is a prelude to an intensive trolley bus study that the STM is launching that should be completed by December 2012. According to The Gazette, STM president Michel Labrecque hopes to have a trolley bus system working in the next five years.

Big O up for big makeover
The Olympic Park board announced its plans to make major renovations to the plaza surrounding the Olympic Stadium. The renovations are expected to span three years and will cost around $7 million, some of which will be paid by corporate sponsors. The 17,000 square metres plaza is made up almost entirely of concrete. David Heurtel, president of the Olympic Park, said in an interview on CBC Daybreak Montreal that the park will also play host to year-round programming such as concerts and other live events.