Home Sports Concordia Stingers sports briefs

Concordia Stingers sports briefs

by The Concordian November 15, 2011

Women’s basketball

Concordia 75 McGill 66

The women’s season got off to an ideal start with a convincing road win over their rival in Concordia’s season opener. Stingers guard Kaylah Barrett was simply dominant, amassing 25 points, eight rebounds (four coming on the offensive glass) and three steals. She was especially effective in the second half, scoring 17 of her points in the third and fourth quarters, when her team needed her the most. The Stingers brought a 16-point lead into the fourth quarter and despite letting their foot off the gas, still managed to cruise to the nine-point win.

Even though they were out-rebounded by a significant margin, Concordia forced 18 McGill turnovers, while only having 10 turnovers themselves.

Concordia will take the court next on Saturday, Nov. 19 at 6 p.m. The game will be the home opener for the Stingers who will be facing the Laval Rouge et Or. 

Men’s hockey

Nippissing 11 Concordia 6

Concordia 4 Toronto 3 (OT)

It was a wild weekend for the Concordia men’s hockey team. The Friday night loss to the Nippissing Lakers looked more like the score of a football game than a hockey game. The Stingers were trailing 7-1 after the second period before a wild third period ensued.

The third featured an astonishing nine goals in total, five of which were scored by the Stingers. Concordia allowed over 50 shots on goal, and have allowed more shots on goal than any team in the CIS.

Connor O’Donnell recorded an amazing eight points (one goal and seven assists) for Nippissing, and now leads the CIS in scoring. Dorian Peca scored a hat trick for the Lakers. Four different Stingers recorded three points in the loss.

After being blown out, the Stingers picked up their first road win of the season the next day against Toronto.

After watching its early 2-0 lead dissolve, Michael Blundon scored in overtime to give Concordia a 4-3 victory.

Alexandre Monahan scored his eighth goal of the season and now leads the team with 17 points.

Defenceman and captain Eric Bégin added two assists, including getting the helper on the overtime winner. Bégin had an outstanding weekend, tallying a goal and four assists in two games. Bégin has done everything and more on the blue line the team could have asked for. He leads all Stingers defencemen with 15 points.

Concordia is now 6-4-2 through the first 12 games of the season. They sit in fifth place in the OUA East Division.

The men will get another chance against Nippissing Friday, Nov. 18 at 7:30 p.m. at Ed Meagher Arena.