Home Sports Miserable season ends

Miserable season ends

by The Concordian November 1, 2011

The Stingers men’s soccer team put their dreadful season to an end with yet another loss Sunday afternoon, falling 2-1 to the McGill Redmen.

This loss brings their record to 1-10-1, their worst record since the team’s winless, disastrous 2006-07 season.

The Stingers came out strong in the first half of Sunday’s game, dominating play, despite both teams being a little sloppy.

In the 21st minute a beautiful kick from 18 yards out by Karim Haroun hit the crossbar,  and landed right on the edge of the line, keeping the score even.

The first half was coming to an end when Alfred Moody headed in his third goal of the year on a cross from Shady Shalaby, putting Concordia up 1-0.

“The goalie came out and missed it, and the guy marking me wasn’t quick enough, so I just popped it in,” said Moody.

The second half started with more Stinger domination, keeping the Redmen deep within their zone. The pressure almost paid off when a nice send in from the Stingers’ Eduardo Mazzonna put Shalaby on a breakaway. Epitomizing the season, though, Concordia struck the crossbar yet again.

The miss proved to be costly.

Just two minutes after the Stingers’ breakaway, the Redmen scored two goals in two minutes, putting Concordia down for the first time in the game. From that moment, the momentum shifted to the Redmen, and it stayed like that for the rest of the game.

“This game was a perfect picture of our entire season,” said Moody. “A lot of missed opportunities and inconsistency, but we have amazing players and we’re looking forward to next season.”

“We came out strong the first half, but a lapse of two minutes cost us the game,” said Stingers keeper Nicholas Giannone.

The problem this year for Concordia, after losing star striker Matthijs Eppinga in the off-season, was an extreme lack of scoring and attacking opportunities. Only four players on the roster managed to score any goals this year. Haroun led the team with four.

The defence didn’t produce consistent results either, allowing 31 goals against. The result was an embarrassing 21 goal differential for the 12-game season.

The results simply weren’t there this year for Concordia, but the work ethic and effort displayed has returning players looking forward to 2012.

“It’s a good look for the next season, we have a lot of depth, so we’re keeping our heads high and looking forward to next year,” said Giannone.