Music In the News

A final Kiss-off

A Kiss fan who died in a freak car accident earlier this month was given a send-off worthy of a member of the Kiss army. Family and friends of Philip James “Nino” Negri, 43, showed up to his funeral service dressed in Kiss clothing and memorabilia. Items from Nino’s collection were put on display throughout the parlour’s anteroom, including a vintage Kiss lunchbox, action figures and a slideshow of his friends and family set to “Detroit Rock City.” The service was closed with a modified a capella rendition of “I Was Made For Loving You” with lyrics such as “I was made for loving you, Jesus,” which the attendees all joined in for an impromptu singalong in what was an unusual but touching tribute to a true Kiss fan.

Someone should learn to shut their hole

Courtney Love went on quite the rant at the SWU Festival in Brazil last week, saying her status as a “gay icon” allowed her to use the word “fags” and claiming that she was the inspiration for the Smashing Pumpkins’ Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. The singer really lost it when she noticed a fan holding a poster of her dead husband in the crowd. “I don’t need to see a picture of Kurt, asshole, and I’m going to have you fucking removed if you keep throwing that up,” said the disgruntled diva. “I’m not Kurt—I have to live with his shit, his ghost, his kid every day. Throwing that up is stupid and rude and I’ll beat the fuck out of you if you do it again.” Love then went on a tirade about Dave Grohl, telling the offending fan to “Go see the fucking Foo Fighters and do that shit.”

Kurt just keeps popping up!

It’s looking like this Christmas may entertain us more than usual. A new Facebook campaign is calling for Nirvana’s 1991 hit “Smells Like Teen Spirit” to become this Christmas’ number one song. “Nirvana For Christmas No. 1,” was started in response to the X Factor band Rhythmix ignoring initial demands from a children’s charity of the same name to change monikers. Though the band has relented, switching their name to Little Mix, it seems the campaign will continue despite having achieved its goal, with British sporting site Ladbrokes placing the odds of the song reaching number one at 4:1.

And he knows a thing or two about hacks

Oasis’ Noel Gallagher has admitted to feeling a little left out from all the phone hacking excitement that’s been going on in the UK of late. “I was absolutely crestfallen when the phone-hacking scandal broke here in England and my name wasn’t mentioned once.” said the Mancunian musician. “I’m not even worthy to have my fucking phone hacked. And Steve Coogan is. It is fucking over.”

Bidder pays $8,000 to get into Minogue’s knickers

Kylie Minogue’s lingerie was sold at auction last week for $8,000, the proceeds of which will go to help the StudyVox Foundation. The red silk La Perla lingerie, which Minogue wore for the foundations’ 2012 photo calendar shoot, was snatched up by a mystery bidder during the Pop Culture: Rock and Pop Memorabilia at Christie’s auction house in London. Upon hearing the news, the singer tweeted “Thx to the mystery buyer!!! WOW! So thrilled and for a great cause.”