Stingers move to 3-0 for first time in over a decade

The Concordia women remain undefeated after beating Bishop’s. Photo by Chris Hanna

The last time a Concordia women’s basketball team was 3-0, George W. Bush was embarking on his first term as U.S. president, PlayStation 2 was just released and the Earth had a billion fewer people residing on its surface.

The Concordia women remain undefeated after beating Bishop's. Photo by Chris Hanna

So, yes, it has been a while since the Stingers were off to this hot of a start.

After eking out a two-point win last week against Laval, Concordia was in tough again on Friday night against the visiting Bishop’s Gaiters.

Trailing the Gaiters by two heading into the final quarter, Concordia was able to do just enough to come away victorious.

Kaylah Barrett sank three free throws in a row to stretch Concordia’s lead to five with just over four minutes remaining. The Stingers, though, would see their lead evaporate as the Gaiters’ Gabrielle Chamberland hit a game-tying three-pointer with 1:39 left, evening the score at 54 apiece.

Barrett continued her strong play just a few seconds later grabbing a clutch offensive rebound (one of her four offensive boards on the night) off as Natasha Raposo missed a three-point attempt. Barrett then got the ball out to Anne-Marie Prophete who got Concordia’s lead back, making a crucial jump shot.

Trailing 59-56 with only four seconds remaining, Bishop’s had time to set up one last play to tie the game.

The ball landed in the hands of Chamberland who was left to launch up the game-tying three-point attempt. The Stingers’ hearts must have been in their stomachs as they watched the ball sail towards the basket. Fortunately for Concordia, the ball clanked off the rim leaving the perfect season intact.

Perhaps the two biggest reasons for Concordia’s success early on have been the stellar play of Kaylah Barrett and an ability to get the ball inside and get to the free throw line.

Barrett is fifth in the entire country in scoring, averaging 21.3 points per game this season. She had 17 points, eight rebounds and four steals against Bishop’s.

Barrett was also 11-for-15 from the free throw line, on a night where Concordia shot 33 free throws, but only made 18. The Stingers are presently leading the CIS in free throw attempts.

Concordia will now enjoy a long holiday break before stepping back on the floor on Thursday, Jan. 5 at 6 p.m. at UQAM.