Thoughts on the protest

“I think it’s a good idea to show just how much students are against the increase in tuition, but in the long run I don’t think it will do anything. If tuition does go up, I don’t know if I’ll be able to afford to continue to go to school here. If I do continue after the tuition hike I’ll barely be able to pay.” – Sara Garden, art history student at Concordia

“The turn out for the protest is amazing! I think this is just the beginning in the fight to freeze tuition. Education is a right and that’s the way it should be. Already, with the current tuition, a lot of students graduate with debt. With the hikes, that debt will just continue to increase. Everyone’s here today to stand up for their rights, there shouldn’t be a limit on who gets education and who doesn’t.”- Kate Ellis, communications student at Concordia

“I don’t expect things to change the day after today, but I’m here protesting to show solidarity and that we’re all standing up against Charest.” – Aurélie Chayer, student at Cégep du Vieux Montréal

“I didn’t attend the protest because there was no way I could miss class. I understand it will raise the amount I have to pay but I’m in school to learn and I don’t want this whole manifestation to affect that. I want to do something about it but up to a point there’s nothing I can do apart from conforming to it and I have other priorities.” – Véronique Sunatori, studio arts student at Concordia

“We’re out here supporting the students. We’re on strike at McGill – we’re part of the support staff – and the students have been out supporting us, and we’re all part of the same community. We don’t think this is fair for the students so we’re showing our support for them.” –Andrew, McGill University support staff

Compiled by Meghan Pearson