Warrior effort by Carabins’ Barker thumps the Stingers

Battling in front in the Stingers lopsided loss. Photo by Anthony Isabella
Battling in front in the Stingers lopsided loss. Photo by Anthony Isabella

They whacked their sticks against the boards to start periods like warriors knocking their swords against their shields. They played like warriors, too.

The Concordia Stingers felt the intensity of the Université de Montréal Carabins Sunday losing 7-1.

It was the second straight loss to the Carabins by the Stingers, which leaves them at the middle of the standings in third place.

Things did not start off well for Concordia as Montréal scored three goals within the first seven minutes of the first period. Montréal dominated the period leaving little room for the Stingers to capitalize.

Concordia was able to settle the storm somewhat in the middle of the period. The calm, however, was just a reprieve from an oncoming storm courtesy of one fierce Carabin.

Five minutes before the end of the opening period, Ariane Barker scored her second and far from final goal.

Period one ended 4-0.

“I feel good because my last game was not very good,” said Barker. “We have a good team. We are complete.”

The second period opened in a cagey fashion with the Stinger defence holding strong. Montréal had Concordia pinned in its own zone for about five minutes, but credit the Stinger defence and the goalkeeping of Carolanne Lavoie-Pilon for keeping the game respectable.

At the 11-minute mark, Concordia got on the board when Alyssa Sherrard converted a slick cross-goalmouth pass from Véronique Laramée-Paquette.

The joy was short-lived, however, as Barker struck again keeping the Carabins’ lead at four.

Lavoie-Pilon made a couple of nice saves in the final five minutes of the period, and there was the feeling that if the Stingers kept it tight, they just may be able to get back into the game.

The Stingers did not lay down in the third, and came out with intensity making more forays into the Carabins zone.

Though they got far more pucks on the net, the Stingers were unable to get anything passed goalie Rachel Ouellette.

Eight minutes into the third, Montréal put the game out of reach with a two on one goal from, you guessed it, Barker.

Five minutes before the period’s end, Barker scored again making it a hat-trick plus two for the Napierville, Que. native.

The game was a frustrating one for Concordia, who worked hard, but saw its work bear little fruit.

“There was effort, but it wasn’t directed in the right direction,” said assistant captain Meghan George. “We weren’t angling right. We got two next weekend, so that’s what we’re going to build towards.”


Concordia plays Carleton next Saturday, before their final game of the year 2011 against McGill on Sunday at 3 p.m. at Ed Meagher Arena.

Related Posts