Home News World in brief

World in brief

by The Concordian November 29, 2011

Alcohol-free venue opens in UK
Liverpool, the “recovery capital” of Britain, is now home to the country’s first “dry” bar. Brink, a self-funded, alcohol-free bar, caters to those recovering from drug and alcohol addictions. The establishment, which has been open since September, stems from an initiative by a charity called Action on Addiction. The city has the highest level of alcohol-related hospital admissions in the country, and plays host to 33 AA meetings every week. According to The Guardian, the bar is popular among single women and members of the Muslim community. The bar also works to reintegrate recovering alcoholics into its staff.

Hands-free video game
Video games installed at the urinal stands in a UK bar have proven to be both popular and profitable. Captive Media installed digital screens above urinals in a Cambridge bar, where men can play one of three games which are controlled by the flow of pee. On average, a man spends 55 seconds staring at the wall while using the urinal, according to Business Weekly. The screens (which are fully splash-proof) play ads before and after the video game which feature a drink that can be bought at the bar. Once they are done, men can post scores to Twitter and to a leader board to compete with their friends. Captive Media intends to place the screens in other venues early next year. http://www.businessweekly.co.uk/hi-tech/13154-wee-meets-wii-in-pee-tv

Worse than a cream pie
India Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar was slapped by an angry citizen last week as he walked up the steps to a government building in Delhi, the BBC reported. Harvinder Singh said he slapped the minister because he is upset about corruption and high inflation. Singh was taken away by police after the hit. He said he also tried to attack former telecoms minister Sukh Ram, who received a five-year prison sentence for accepting a bribe. This is not the first time a high-profile government employee has been assaulted in India. On separate occasions, Home Minister P Chidambaram, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Leader of the Opposition LK Advani have all been on the receiving end of shoes thrown at them.

Like Steve McQueen
Six inmates living in the Mexican penal colony Islas Marias were recaptured on Thursday after they escaped and tried to swim to shore using empty plastic gas or water tanks to stay afloat. According to the Associated Press, the inmates were 90 kilometres south of the colony and approximately the same distance from coastal resort Puerto Vallarta when a boat saw them and tipped off the navy. The stunt seems to be straight out of the 1973 movie Papillon, where Steve McQueen’s character escapes from a penal colony in French Guiana using largely the same technique. Islas Marias, which lies about 110 kilometres from the mainland, has been the last island penal colony in the region after Panama closed Coiba Island in 2004. There are between 1,000 and 1,200 inmates living in the colony. They live in small houses and are not usually locked up.