Hockey in brief

Concordia played to a 7-2 win against Carleton on Friday night before losing 5-3 to the Ottawa Gee Gees on Saturday afternoon. Concordia now sits at 9-9 in the middle of the pack of the OUA’s East Division.

Concordia found itself trailing 1-0 after the first period on Friday night, but exploded for four goals in the second period. Two of the second period goals came from the stick of George Lovatsis, including one shorthanded goal that swung the momentum of the game. Lovatsis completed the hat trick in the third period. He now leads the country in goals with 15 and trails only Mike Stinziani for the team lead in points. Nicholas Champion stopped 36 of 38 shots in the victory.

After the blowout win over Carleton, the Stingers came out flat the next afternoon.

They were outshot 15-3 in the first period and as a result, found themselves down 3-0 after the game’s first 20 minutes.

Concordia woke up in the second period, outshooting Ottawa 15-13, but it was the Gee Gees who scored the only goal of the period, taking a 4-0 lead.

The Stingers, possessing the CIS’ second best offence, broke through and made a game of things in the third period.

Lovatsis scored his fourth goal of the weekend just over two minutes into the final period. Dominic Martel cut the Ottawa lead in half at the 7:28 mark and Charles-Antoine Messier brought the Stingers within one goal exactly one minute later.

Unfortunately for Concordia, the comeback was just not meant to be. Matt White scored for Ottawa into Concordia’s empty net in the game’s final minute.

While Concordia would have loved to head into the break on a winning note, the team has accomplished a lot in the first part of the season. They are one of the best teams in the country offensively, but they are also one of the worst teams defensively.

If Concordia can tighten up play in its own end and continue to get solid goaltending, this will be a team no one will be anxious to face come playoff time.