Stingers stay perfect!

Magalie Beaulieu (5) runs the floor with Serginha Estimé (11) joining the play in the Stingers 19-point win. Photo by Navneet Pall

The Concordia Stingers women’s basketball team rebounded back from the long Christmas break to maintain its perfect start to the season.

Concordia dominated down low against the UQAM Citadins last Thursday, out rebounding its opponent 57-31, en route to a 19-point victory.

The Stingers picked up almost as many offensive rebounds, 26, as UQAM did in total. Serginha Estimé led the way for Concordia grabbing nine of her 12 rebounds on the offensive end of the court.

Even with the winning effort, Stingers coach Keith Pruden was not entirely pleased with his team’s play, especially in the game’s opening quarter, where Concordia looked sluggish and confused.

“I wasn’t completely happy with how we played, but I am happy for the win,” said Pruden.

Still, led by leading scorer Kaylah Barrett, the Stingers were able to amass an 11-point lead going into halftime and never let UQAM back in the game after that.

Pruden was more pleased with his team’s effort coming out of the break. “I think in the second half we had a lot more energy and were able to open up the floor better and that made the difference.”

Barrett finished the game with 23 points, making seven of her eight field-goal attempts. Barrett has been hands-down Concordia’s best player all-season and is second in the country in scoring. She was reluctant to take credit for the Stingers’ success, though. “My teammates have been working really hard so that has been a huge part of my individual success,” she said.

Starting the season 4-0, expectations for the women this year are sky high. Still, Pruden is not eager to look too far ahead.

“We are just taking it one game at a time,” he said. “It’s very difficult to go undefeated, I’ve only done it once in my coaching career so it’s not something I even think about. This team has a lot of potential and our goal is to win nationals.”

The Stingers’ next game is at home  against UQAM at the Loyola campus gym on Jan. 14 at 6 p.m.