Concordia organizes fourth annual case competition

The University of Maastricht won the fourth annual John Molson Undergraduate Case Competition last Saturday at the Hilton Bonaventure Hotel.
After a close final, the Dutch undergraduate students won the week-long competition that saw 24 universities from around the world compete in a time-constrained contest that made students work on real-life strategy cases presented to a real company.
This year, students presented in front of a jury composed of members of the ground engineering and environment services company Golder Associates, as well as JMSB professors.
“The JMUCC is one of the largest undergraduate business competitions in the world,” said JMUCC VP public relations Riddhi Jhunjhunwala. “The fact that students have to work on real-life cases in front of a jury of professionals who know the company in and out makes it a real challenge and an excellent learning experience.”
The Concordia JMSB team and the HEC Montreal team, the two universities representing Montreal schools in the competition, did not make it to the finals, although two of the six finalists were Canadian universities.
After winning the first round on Feb. 20, the JMSB students lost two consecutive rounds against the universities of Maastricht and Purdue.
The last three days of the competition saw the finalists compete a second time, where they were to present Golder Associates a business strategy that would expand the company’s economic and environmental viability. Each team of four had only 24 hours to prepare this last case.
The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology made it to second place, followed by Carleton University.
The winners of the case competition received JMUCC trophies, Micheal Kors watches and a free ticket to compete in the 2013 JMUCC (instead of paying the $2,500 team registration fee). The prize of best Canadian school was awarded to Carleton University.