Black Dice: Cheap and Cheerful

Black Dice from left to right: Aaron Warren, Bjorn Copeland and Eric Copeland
For ten bucks, dozens witnessed Black Dice, true pioneers of the noise scene, put on a pretty good show at Il Motore on May 4. Though some music aficionados may say the band is past its musical prime, Black Dice definitely brought it.

Most of the set was comprised of material found on their latest release, Mr. Impossible, and the album that came prior to that one, Repo. Their newer material is more upbeat and dance-driven than their previous work, but still full of experimental improvisation.

There were definitely die-hard Black Dice fans present, but the venue capacity and the cheap ticket price could explain why the audience seemed full of kids who may have strolled in on impulse. The crowd appeared bored; a handful of girls were grinding in front of the stage like it was a Sean Paul concert, but most others were head-banging softly, dancing with minimal movement, or standing far apart from each other. It seemed as if the obsessive fans may have stayed home, for not much passion radiated from the crowd.

Local act Strong Boss served as a fitting warm-up for the headliner. Boasting a lineup of seven members, including three drummers, their heavy sound pulsated through the venue and provided much needed energy to a crowd that showed up late to a show that was delayed a few hours.

Black Dice certainly isn’t dull live; the musicians didn’t appear extremely excited, but they put on an energetic show complete with members jumping around and actively moving most of the time, giving them a high grade for stage presence. The bass was explosive and their high-pitched frequencies were bouncing off the walls of the tiny but cozy Il Motore. They did not stop in between songs for a breather or even to speak to their audience–they simply played.

The set was not really filled with the earlier noise-driven Black Dice signature sound, for it seems they have turned to dance-rock. They may find difficulty holding on to their older fans with the change, but attracting new fans is never a bad thing. For ten dollars, both new and old fans got much more than what they paid for.