John Mayer, reborn and resurrected

Rating: 9.1/10
Rating: 9.1/10
John Mayer has had his ups and downs in the media. After capturing our attention with his breakthrough album, Room for Squares, he continued to impress by dabbling in different genres, all the while sticking to his signature raspy vocals.

But when his poorly thought out comments hit the presses in both Rolling Stone and Playboy magazine, it heavily damaged his public image, and forced him to retreat from the spotlight. It did not help either that his previous album, Battle Studies, was considered one of his weakest efforts to date, as he churned more radio-friendly material.

In his latest effort, Born and Raised, Mayer has gone to the roots of American music, with  classic rock and country thrown in for good measure. The result is one of his best works, which draws heavy influence from Neil Young and southern rock legends like Lynyrd Skynyrd.

However, the greatest influence to the album is Mayer’s personal roadmap, and each track seems to offer an apology. Lead single, “Shadow Days,” asks fans and exes for forgiveness with the lyrics “I’m a good man with a good heart/had a tough time/got a rough start/but I finally learned to let it go.”

Though the record is an excellent listen, fans will be disappointed to learn that Mayer is suffering from throat granuloma, which has forced him to cancel his upcoming tour. Nevertheless, the album, set for a May 22 release, serves as an excellent comeback album, full of the songwriting and technical ability that fans have loved for the past decade.

Trial track: “A Face to Call Home”