Murder victim identified as missing Concordia student

Lin Jun, 33, studied Computer Science at Concordia (photo via Facebook)
Jun Lin, 33, studied Computer Science at Concordia (photo via Facebook)

UPDATE (8/06/12):

Suspect Luka Rocco Magnotta was arrested in Berlin, Germany earlier this week.

The alleged murderer was found at an Internet café June 4. Magnotta is in custody of German authorities, awaiting extradition to Canada where he will be formally charged with the murder of Concordia University student Jun Lin.

Concordia’s Chinese Student Association, with the support of Concordia University, announced the creation of an award in Lin’s memory that will benefit Chinese students studying at the university. The initiative launched by the CCSA also includes the Jun Lin Family Fund that aims to provide financial assistance to the Lin family in the wake of their loss.

The university is also accepting donations on behalf of the Lin family from those who wish to express condolences and support.

– – – – –

Montreal Police confirmed the identity of missing Concordia University student Jun Lin early Friday morning as the victim in a gruesome murder in the Cote-des-Neiges area.

It is believed that Lin, 33, was murdered during the night of May 24 and was reported missing on May 29. Friends and family of Lin lost contact with him on the 24th according to the Chinese Consulate in Montreal.

The primary suspect in the case, Luka Rocco Magnotta, 29, is the sole suspect in the shocking murder that has made international news since the discovery of a decapitated body in a suitcase outside of an apartment in Snowdon on Tuesday; the same day Lin’s hand and foot were mailed to political party headquarters in Ottawa.

Magnotta fled the country to Europe shortly after posting a video allegedly depicting the murder, decapitation and dismemberment of Lin online on May 26. Magnotta’s current whereabouts are unknown.

In a press conference held Friday, Commander Ian Lafrenière of the Montreal Police announced that Lin, an undergraduate student from China, knew Magnotta.

“We believe from the evidence and the video that the suspect and the victim knew each other,” said Lafrenière. He emphasized that the nature of the relationship was unconfirmed, only that Lin and Magnotta were acquainted.

Montreal Police and Canadian authorities are now working with the international organization Interpol, which has posted a Red Notice for Magnotta. All 190 countries have been notified of Magnotta’s disappearance and he is now at the center of an international manhunt.

On Friday afternoon, the Montreal Courthouse filed charges of first-degree murder and interfering with the dignity of a dead body against Magnotta.

Friday afternoon, Dr. Frederick Lowy, president of Concordia University issued a statement extending his condolences to the family and friends of the deceased.

“It is never easy to deal with the loss of a loved one, particularly when the death is unforeseen. Our hearts go out to his family and friends during this very difficult time,” wrote Lowy.