Mix Tape: Songs to prolong summer

Falling asleep on the beach to the lapping waves, rolling into your summer job with your hair still wreaking of campfire, and nursing a lukewarm glass of beer while lingering on the patio after sunset.

Falling asleep on the beach to the lapping waves, rolling into your summer job with your hair still wreaking of campfire, and nursing a lukewarm glass of beer while lingering on the patio after sunset. These are the memories we shall cling to for comfort as we hole ourselves up in the library, buried under midterms. But alas, I swear, summer is not over yet. The sun will bounce off Montreal pavement for at least another month, and you’ll keep the fan cranked in your bedroom through many more humid nights.

This mixtape is for those who aren’t quite ready to slip into their school shoes. Each track was released by an artist that either toured or broke out since we last closed our textbooks, and should ease summer separation anxiety. Side A is for those first few weekends of the school year when you can’t get enough of nights out downtown. Spin Side B when one of yours friends gets their hands on a car and you head for water. There’s still a little beach time left!

Side A: Gettin’ down in the city

1. “Conditioning” – Cadence WeaponHope in Dirt City
  2. “Phone Sex” – Blood Diamonds ft. GrimesPhone Sex EP
  3. “Motion Sickness” – Hot ChipIn Our Heads
  4. “Sinful Nature” – Bear in HeavenI Love You It’s Cool
  5. “House” – KindnessWorld, You Need a Change of Mind
  6. 212” – Azealia Banks feat. Lazy JaySingle
  7. “Next To You” – PoolsidePacific Standard Time
  8. “Midnight City” – M83Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming
  9. “Under Your Spell” – Desire –  Drive Soundtrack
  10. Nightcall” – Kavinsky & LovefoxSingle

Side B: On the road

1. “Angels” – The xxSingle
  2. “Wild” – Beach HouseBloom
  3. “Golden Mile” – Daniel RossenSilent Hour/Golden Mile EP
  4. “You Only Want It ‘Cause You’re Lonely” – ParlovrKooksoul
  5. “Life’s A Beach” – Django DjangoDjango Django
  6. “Santa Fe” – Beirut – The Rip Tide
  7. “Ruin” – Cat Power –  Single
  8. “For 12” – Other LivesTamer Animals
  9. “Laura” – Bat for Lashes – Single
  10. “Sunshine” – Little Dragon – Single
0

A Summer of Red

Music In The News