Remembering the queen of crime

Murder on the Orient Express (1974)
Murder on the Orient Express (1974)

To commemorate the work of Agatha Christie, one of the most celebrated mystery writers ever, Cinema du Parc will be showcasing two movie versions of the famous British novelist’s work until Aug. 30. This special screening comes just three weeks before what would have been Christie’s 122nd birthday on Sept. 15. Having written more than 80 novels and created two of the most well known literary heroes of her decade, this is a well-deserved celebration.

The movies selected by Cinema du Parc are “Ten Little Indians” directed by George Pollock (1965) and “Murder on the Orient Express” directed by Sidney Lumet (1974). Both are categorized as important movies that should be shown to every generation, says Cinema du Parc director of communications, Beatrice Flynn. Not only is the work of Agatha Christie praised through these two movies, but the work of Pollock and Lumet is exemplified, as Flynn maintains that these two films are the best adaptations ever made of Christie’s work.

Ten Little Indians: Pollock invites you into his take on Agatha Christie’s novel And Then There Were None which originally shared the same title as the film adaptation but was changed to the more politically correct choice later on. In the book, ten strangers with a criminal past are invited to a secluded house on an island where it seems they will finally get what they deserve. The movie title comes from the title of the poem Ten little Indians, each line of which dictates the destructive fate of the next guest as carried out by an unknown executioner.

Murder on the Orient Express: When a well-known but notoriously hated banker is murdered on the Orient Express, it is up to famed detective Hercule Poirot to solve the case. The list of suspects is extensive, including every passenger on the stalled train, some of whom have not been shy when expressing their distaste for the victim. The movie also features Ingrid Bergman who won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her portrayal of Greta. Murder on the Orient Express is a true whodunit that will keep you thoroughly entertained and on the edge of your seat.