Settle in at Comme Chez Soi

Image from Flickr.

Though there’s no lack of great bars in this university city, it was only a matter of time before Montreal would welcome a speakeasy to the Mile End neighborhood. With the 1920s re-emerging in fashion and cinema, like Baz Luhrmann’s film adaptation of The Great Gatsby, there couldn’t have been a better time to give people a little sense of rebellion.

Le Comme Chez Soi – its inviting name urging clients to act as they would at home – is a luminous cave enriched with mahogany and statement pieces that were either inherited or bought at an estate sale.

The bar is filled with a variety of round and square wooden tables, accommodating any party size. The room is long and narrow with bright antique lamps. An eye-catching upright piano is centered along a stonewall decorated with black and white photos of strangers of the past. If you decide to visit on the weekend, you won’t be surprised to hear a few bluesy tunes that are great company to a good conversation.

The bar is filled with a variety of beers and whiskies. While I appreciate a good scotch on the rocks, it’s hard to order anything else aside from their bloody caesars. It’s fresh with just the right amount of spice and it’s always served with at least three big olives and an onion – the best I’ve had in Montreal!

While the bar may be what you’re looking for, I would suggest giving a glance at the menu and going for the burger. Made with bison meat and dressed with Roquefort cheese and bacon, Le Comme Chez Soi has earned a reputation for having one of the best burgers in the Mile End.

Aside from adding a terrace, this bar could also use an improvement in their service. Considering the room is quite intimate, it was sometimes difficult to get the attention of the waiters chilling by the bar.

Le Comme Chez Soi is nicely lit, has a wonderful ambiance and is filled with people in deep in conversation. It’s the perfect place to take a break from the rowdiness and dancing, and get a feeling of what it must have been like in 1920s!

Le Comme Chez Soi
5386 St Laurent
Montréal, QC H2T 1A5
(514) 277-0100