Don’t miss out on this year’s back to school bash

As classes begin on Wednesday, Sept. 4. so too does the Concordia Student Union’s orientation aimed at familiarizing new students with their surroundings while welcoming back returning students.

This year’s theme is titled “City of Festivals” and will span from Sept. 4 until the 16th. The idea is to create an homage to Montreal’s wide array of festivals that make the city so unique.

The CSU will host numerous festival-related events and activities during the two weeks building up to the much anticipated concert which will be held at the Loyola quad on Friday, Sept.14.

VP student life Alexis Suzuki would not disclose information on headliners but said the “concert for accessible education” will be welcoming award-winning DJs as well as two-time Canadian beatbox champion KRNFX.

“He’s an amazing beatboxer, I’m really excited to have him,” Suzuki said. “We’re really trying to make it so there’s a bit of everything for everyone.”

The new and improved Reggie’s will have its grand opening on Sept. 6, where the CSU will host their own version of Bal en Blanc from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m.

A sustainable food market will take over Reggie’s terrace from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept 5. VP sustainability Andrew Roberts will co-ordinate the event which will host a number of vendors, local farmers, workshops and live art throughout the day. There will also be tasting and cooking stations.

“Over the past years, there have been organizations and vendors,” explained Roberts, “and what I wanted to do this year was separate the organizations on campus from urban agriculture and sustainable food movements.”

A beer festival is slated for Friday, Sept. 7 from 12 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Reggie’s as a tribute to the Festival Mondiale de la Bière Montreal that takes place during the summer. Following the beer festival is a comedy show in the Hall building.

Comedy for accessible education mirrors the Just For Laughs Festival and its galas while aiming to raise money for students in financial need. The show will feature a comedy improv group and headlines stand-up comedian Amy Schumer. Schumer placed fourth on the fifth season of NBC’s Last Comic Standing and has appeared on Delocated and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

At the comedy show, the CSU will donate one dollar for every student present to bursaries to help offset the costs of the tuition increase.

VP academic and advocacy Lucia Gallardo said that the concert will ask students for donations which will go toward the bursaries as well.

With files from Kalina Laframboise.