Whose festival is it anyway?

Photo by Joseph Ste-Marie
Photo by Joseph Ste-Marie

For many of us, our experience with improvised comedy extends only as far as the late-night comedy, Whose Line is it Anyway? The show featured a troupe of actors who would perform various skits, gags, and songs without the aid of a script. Since the show is no longer on the air, Montrealers looking for a laugh should check out Mprov’s 7th annual Improv Festival.

The festival opens its doors to the public on Oct. 10 until the 14, and anyone with an inclination for improvised entertainment will be able to experience a variety of improv groups and performances at the Montreal Improv Theatre and at Theatre Ste-Catherine. For the small fee of ten dollars at the door, Mprov aims to greet a wide array of audiences, from first-timers to lifelong fans.

Mprov will feature local talent as well as professional performers. Well known improv group The Curfew, noted for their appearances on Adult Swim and Late Night with Conan O’Brian, Dave Morris, a prominent solo act from Vancouver, and the musical improv group Way The Hell Off Broadway are among those set to perform. Easy Action and Théâtre de L’Instable are two local groups who will also be in attendance. It is worth noting that Théâtre de L’Instable will be performing in English, something that the troupe is not known for.

Yet Montreal Improv Festival still offers more. For an additional fee, those interested in learning the art of improv will have the opportunity to enroll in workshops offered throughout the festival’s duration. These workshops will be headed by the various troupes and individuals performing, each one focusing on a different element of improv. Dave Morris will sit down and discuss the art of storytelling while Get Up will teach the effective use of special effects. Those interested should check out Mprov’s website to enroll.

Mprov runs from Oct. 10-14 at The Montreal Improv Theatre (3713 St Laurent) and Theatre Ste-Catherine (264 Ste. Catherine E.). For more information visit www.mprov.ca