Concordia defeats rivals and improves record to 4-0

The Concordia Stingers women’s basketball team edged out the McGill Martlets, 72-63. File photo.

The Concordia Stingers women’s basketball team edged out the McGill Martlets, 72-63, in a back-and-forth game. Concordia is now undefeated with four wins and no losses.

Right from the tip off the Stingers caught McGill off-guard, scoring the game’s first 15 points thanks to their swarming zone defence and their deadly three point accuracy.

“My shots were going in and we were just playing good as a team,” said Stingers forward Richelle Gregoire.

Midway through the first quarter, Martlets’ centre Valérie L’Ecuyer fell down hard on her ankle and didn’t return to the game. This gave Concordia a clear advantage.

“You don’t like to say things like that,” said Stingers coach Keith Pruden. “But yes, that made our job a little bit easier.”

The Concordia Stingers women’s basketball team edged out the McGill Martlets, 72-63.

The Stingers went on to outscore the Martlets in the first quarter with a score of 23-9.

“I was very pleased with how we started but at no point did I think we were going to blow them out,” said Pruden.

The second quarter was a different story. After a few adjustments made on both offense and defense by McGill, the Martlets were able to cut the Stingers’ lead down to three points, in part thanks to Anneth Him-Lazarenko’s 12 first-half points. The score at the half was 34-31.

The story was more of the same in the third quarter as McGill’s dominant post game paired with bench player Marie-Pier Bastrash’s sudden hot hand helped them take the lead, for the first time of the game and into the fourth quarter by a score of 52-50.

However in the fourth quarter the Stingers regained their confidence that had propelled them on their first quarter run. Coach Pruden was satisfied with his team’s performance.

“I expected McGill to make it close but we found a way to win,” he said.

In the fourth quarter, Gregoire hit a quick three to help Concordia regain the lead. From there, Concordia never looked back. Led by Kaylah Barrett’s team high 21 points, the Stingers ended up winning the quarter by a score of 22-11 leading them to the victory over the Martlets.

“It’s my job to pick up my team and go forward. I vibe off everyone’s energy,” said Barrett. “If we’re all doing well together, it’s all just a continuous thing.”

“We’re going to try to keep improving,” said coach Pruden. “I do think we’re better than last year.”

The Stingers will hope to remain undefeated before heading into the winter break with a final game at Laval on Nov. 30. Tip off against the Rouge et Or is at 6 p.m..