Struggles continue for Stingers men’s hockey

Photo by Marie-Josée Kelly
Photo by Marie-Josée Kelly

The men’s hockey team blew a two-goal lead late in the third period, losing 3-2 against the Carleton Ravens. Less than 24 hours later, the Stingers couldn’t overcome a potent Gee Gees offense, losing 6-3 to Ottawa.

Despite the two losses, Stingers head coach Kevin Figsby praised his team’s efforts.

“We have a great group of kids,” said Figsby. “They’ve been working really hard. We’re moving from being frustrated to learning consistency and confidence.”

The weekend’s hockey action began Saturday, with the Stingers hosting the Carleton Ravens at Ed Meagher arena.

The game got off to a physical start. Stingers forward Alex Monahan was involved in an altercation with Ravens forward Tyler Taylor.

The early scrum inspired the Concordia bench. Soon after, the Stingers cycled the puck in and around Ravens’ goalkeeper Ryan Dube for large stretches of the first period.

But it wasn’t until a penalty kill midway through the first period that the Stingers finally found the back of the net. Forward Olivier Hinse redirected a Dany Potvin shot from the point for his second goal of the season.

The Stingers carried momentum early in the second period, forcing Dube to make some impressive saves, most notably a breakaway stop on Potvin, who flew past two sleeping defensemen.

Minutes later, Stingers goalkeeper Loic Boivin kept his team in front, robbing unguarded Ravens forward Jeff Hayes on his doorstep.

“He played great,” said Figsby. “He’s calm. Both of our goalies are young and are learning.”

Late in the second period, the Stingers capitalized on an ill-timed Ravens penalty. Monahan potted his third goal of the season off a bad rebound.

With the score 2-1 later in the second period, the Stingers had the insurance goal in sight with several power-play opportunities. Their failure to capitalize bred new life for the Ravens.

Late in the third period, Ravens forwards Ryan Berard and Mitch Porowski shocked the Stingers with two back-to-back goals, finishing the comeback.

The maroon and gold finished the game one-for-seven on the powerplay.

“We worked all week on a set power-play that we knew would work against Carleton,” said Figsby. “But 20 minutes before the game, the medical staff decided [defenseman] Alex MacDonald could not play.”

According to Figsby, MacDonald’s presence on the powerplay is paramount to the team’s success.

Twenty-four hours after the disappointing loss to the Ravens, the Stingers took on the Ottawa Gee Gees in Ottawa.

Things got ugly early on; the Stingers were down 4-0 at the first intermission.

But in the second period the Stingers turned on the heat and out-shot the Gee Gees 12-8. The Stingers’ Alexis Piette, George Lovatsis, and Potvin each scored a goal, narrowing the Gee Gees lead to one goal.

The Stingers thought the comeback was complete in the third period when a shot from the point found the back of the net; however, Mathieu Dubuc’s goaltender interference nullified the goal.

The Gee Gees went on to add two late markers, beating Concordia 6-3.

The Stingers will try to end the 10-game winless streak on Friday when they host the Nipissing Lakers at the Ed Meagher arena. Puck drops at 7:30 p.m. Less than 24 hours later, in the second home game of the weekend, Concordia will square off against the Ryerson Rams at 2 p.m.