Athletes of the month for January

Men’s Hockey – Etienne Archambault

The Stingers finished with a record of 2-4-2 in January. Etienne Archambault led the Stingers with four goals and four assists in these eight games. The St-Hyacinthe, Que., native continues to lead Concordia in overall points, after amassing a team-best 11 goals while chipping in eight assists in 24 games this season. This is Archambault’s second season with the Stingers.

– Anthony Abbondanza, Staff writer

Women’s Hockey – Veronique Laramee-Paquette, Hayley Boyd and Tracy-Ann Lavigne

January was a tough beginning to the New Year for the Stingers, but there was a new formed line that really excelled; that being the line of Veronique Laramee-Paquette, Hayley Boyd and Tracy-Ann Lavigne. During the season play this month, Laramée-Paquette had a goal and three assists, adding two assists in the Theresa Humes Tournament. Boyd had two goals and an assist during the month. Lavigne had a goal and an assist during season play, but led the team with three goals at the Humes, including two against Queen’s.

­– David S. Landsman, Staff writer

Men’s Basketball – Kyle Desmarais

After missing the entire opening month of play due to injury, guard Kyle Desmarais returned to the court in the Stingers’ first game back from the holiday break. He made an immediate contribution to the team, scoring a team-high 19 points in a total domination of the McGill Redmen on Jan. 10. The second team All-Canadian in 2010-2011, Desmarais participated in four of his team’s five games this past month. He led the team with an average of 19 points in the four games.

Women’s Basketball – Marilyse Roy-Viau

First-year forward Marilyse Roy-Viau helped Concordia to a 3-2 record during the month of January. The Mirabel, Que., native averaged 12 points per game, acting as the Stingers’ leading scorer in two of the five games. Her best game came on Jan. 26 against the UQAM Citadins, when she finished with 16 points and seven rebounds. The 21-year-old was also named Concordia’s female athlete-of-the-week three times over the past month.

Men’s Soccer – Amadou Lam

The Concordia men’s soccer team played three times during the month of January. The Stingers opened the season with a clean sheet two-nil victory against McGill, drew the Montreal Impact Academy team 1-1 and lost to Sherbrooke 3-2. Midfielder Amadou Lam was named MVP in two of the three matches. He scored against the Redmen when his diving header sailed past the keeper in the 63rd minute of that game. Lam, from Nouakchott, Mauritania, then had two good performances in the following matches, playing as a playmaking midfielder.

Women’s Soccer – Jennifer Duff

The Stingers women’s soccer team only played twice in the month of January. The team opened the indoor season with a 3-0 loss to rivals McGill on Jan. 10 and managed a 1-1 draw against Sherbrooke on Jan. 27. Jennifer Duff had the team’s only goal in the month. She led the team in scoring in the outdoor season in the fall and is currently leading the team as of their last match on Feb. 3. Duff was named the team’s MVP in the shutout loss to the Martlets.

– Kevin Duarte, Sports editor