Concordia’s athletic department director to retire

Concordia’s Athletic Department Director Katie Sheahan will retire this May after 10 years on the job. The department made the announcement last Thursday.

During her tenure, there have been some major upgrades and advancements in Concordia’s athletic services. According to the Athletic Department’s website, both the outdoor artificial turfs on Loyola campus, the Stinger Dome and the gyms have all been installed during her time at Concordia. Sheahan was also involved in the creation of The PERFORM center, an advanced sports research facility, located in Le Centre at Loyola campus. It was inaugurated in October 2011.

Sheahan has always had tremendous passion for all Stingers team. She regularly attends Concordia home games. More recently, she was spotted cheering passionately, sitting in the first row of the men’s and women’s basketball games this past Thursday.

In her 10 years as the Department’s director, Stingers sports teams have, combined, won over 10 championships.

In 2008, her achievements led her to the Humberto Santos Award issued by the Concordia University Alumni Association.

The university will look to continue building on Sheahan’s work and will continue providing a quality experience for the school’s athletes and varsity teams while continuing to improve the facilities.