Super Bowl: king of sports

Graphic by Jennifer Kwan
Graphic by Jennifer Kwan

The Super Bowl is one of the most epic sporting events and has a vibrant and dramatic history to match. The first Super Bowl was held on Jan. 15, 1967 between the Green Bay Packers and the Kansas City Chiefs and ended with a 35-10 victory for Green Bay. A total of 61,949 fans were in attendance at that game in Los Angeles, out of a possible 100,000 seats at the Memorial Coliseum.

Even in the very first Super Bowl, the theatrical element was present. In fact, the hero of that game was a wide receiver named Max McGee, who expected to watch the game from the sidelines. When starter Boyd Dowler separated his shoulder on the second drive, McGee was forced to step up. McGee went out the night before and was in no shape to play football the following day, let alone in a championship game.

“I waddled in about 7:30 in the morning and I could barely stand up for the kickoff,” he told the press after the game. He was confident that he wouldn’t be playing, but the only thing that could have put him in the game—an injury—happened. He borrowed a helmet from one of his teammates, having left his in the locker room, and walked on the field. Early in his performance, he caught a 37-yard touchdown pass and went on to make seven catches for 138 yards and two touchdowns. He made more catches in that Super Bowl game than he did the entire previous season, in which he only had four receptions. Talk about dramatic.

The spectacular element to the Super Bowl has yet to fail us and this year will be no exception. The two teams that squared off for the title on Sunday were the San Francisco 49ers and the Baltimore Ravens. Each team is coached by a Harbaugh. Two brothers will go head to head, in the ultimate sibling rivalry. The fact that this narrative has been a dominant one around the game is no surprise. This is the first time in 47 Super Bowls that a brotherly confrontation will take place. While the 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh has been known to shy away from the media and avoid answering questions about the upcoming game, John enjoys speaking with the media and joking about how his parents always liked Jim more. Despite their different personalities, one thing remains certain; both will do whatever it takes to come out on top. Their constant devotion to their respective teams came first on Sunday over any brotherly connection they have. It was a game that will be remembered for the rivalry and skill of all involved, with Baltimore taking an early lead and holding off a genuine effort from San Francisco in the second half to take the game 34-31.

Even if you are not the biggest football fan, you will probably be surrounded by friends and family watching with a beer in hand and nacho dip close by. Because it’s the Super Bowl. It’s one of the greatest sporting events in the history of sports and its flare for the dramatic makes it even better. The enormous melting pot of passion, emotion, skill and devotion make it impossible to miss that fateful day comes and so it will be for years to come.