Athletes of the month for February

Men’s hockey – Antonio Mastropietro

The Montreal, Que. native finished the season on a high note, cementing his status as the team’s number one goaltender entering the 2013-14 season. Mastropietro played all four games in February, compiling a 2-1-1 record, 2.00 goals-against average and a .950 save percentage, and a shutout.

– Anthony Abbondanza, Concordian staff writer

Women’s hockey – Mallory Lawton

Despite going winless in the month in February, Concordia Stingers captain Mallory Lawton led the women’s hockey team with two goals. She netted goals in the final two games of the season, against Ottawa and McGill respectively.  The tallies were the final two of her five-year career with the organization, one that is synonymous with the name ‘Lawton’. The women’s hockey team failed to make the playoffs this year..

– David S. Landsman, Concordian staff writer

Men’s basketball – Evens Laroche

The men’s basketball team had a busy month, playing six regular season games and one in the playoffs. The Stingers had a losing record of 3-4, and subsequently had their season come to an end with a semi-final loss to Bishop’s on Feb. 27.

Forward Evens Laroche made a significant contribution in each game throughout the month. Offensively he led Concordia with an average of 15.1 points a game. He was the team’s leading scorer in three of the seven encounters. Laroche averaged 25.6 minutes per game.

Women’s basketball – Kaylah Barrett

The women’s basketball also had a busy month of February. Like the men’s team, they also played seven games total, six regular season and one playoff game. Concordia posted a 5-2 record, including a semi-final victory over UQÀM this past week.

Guard Kaylah Barrett was a major part of the team’s success during the month. She played in all seven games and averaged 14.6 points per game. She led the team in four of these games, most recently in the playoff game where she scored a team-high 17 points. She was named Athlete of the Week, twice by Concordia in February.

Men’s soccer – Andrew Bryan

The men’s soccer team wrapped up their regular season with four matches this month. The Stingers had a 1-3 record, with the one victory coming against former league-leaders Montréal Carabins. The team has one playoff match to play this coming Sunday.

Striker Andrew Bryan scored three times in his four appearances. He scored a volley in the team’s 5-3 loss to UQTR and scored a brace in Concordia’s 2-0 clean-sheet victory over the Carabins the following week.

Women’s soccer – Jennifer Duff

The women’s soccer team had a roller-coaster month. They had a 2-2 record in four lopsided matches. Concordia started the month with a 3-1 win over UQTR, followed by a 3-0 loss to Montréal, 4-0 win against UQÀM and a 7-0 defeat to Laval. The team will rematch Laval in the playoffs.

Striker Jennifer Duff continued to lead the team. She had three goals in the four matches, scoring a double against UQÀM. Duff was named MVP in three of the four encounters. She leads the league in this category with four MVP selections.