Music In The News – Stevie Nicks, Azealia Banks, Iron Maiden

The landslide bring that down too?

Stevie Nicks’ NPR interview last week at SXSW touched on a number of topics, including Nicks’ influences, her new solo album, tour, and her time with Dave Grohl’s Sound City Players. The most striking topic broached, however, was the state of modern feminism, which Nicks believes to be losing ground. “We fought very hard for feminism, for women’s rights,” Nicks said during a Q&A with the audience. “What I’m seeing today is a very opposite thing. I don’t know why, but I see women being put back in their place. And I hate it. We’re losing all we worked so hard for, and it really bums me out.” Nicks recalled the atmosphere that her and band mate Christine McVie dealt with in their Fleetwood Mac heyday, saying that they had strived to alter the perception of women in rock & roll at the time. “I said to [Christine], we can never be treated like second-class citizens. When we walk into a room we have to float in like goddesses, because that’s how we wanted to be treated. We demanded that from the beginning.

She tweets the dumb

If you’re at all familiar with Azealia Banks, you know that she waxes vulgar on a near constant basis and has a knack for getting into feuds with pretty much anybody from Perez Hilton to Baauer a.k.a the “Harlem Shake” guy, but her latest Twitter rant is one for the books. “Fuck those old saggy white niggas stone roses. I wish them nothing but excrement and death. Wow! I must really fucking be a superstar… You’ve got an established band trying to sabotage my lil rap bitch shine. Wow a bunch of old white men trying to bully a young black girl…. What the fuck else is new in this world ???” The cause of all the animosity? Both played at Australia’s Future Music Festival, where Banks claims the Stone Roses started their equipment check during her set to purposefully sabotage her at the behest of her ex-tour manager. She has since removed the tweets, claiming the Stone Roses had apologized, though no official statement was made on the band’s part.

The number of the yeast

Metal has a long and storied history, much of it appropriately soaked in booze, so it is only fitting that one of the biggest monsters of metal have sunk their flag into the brewing business. Iron Maiden, in collaboration with England’s Robinson Brewery, have announced that they’ll be coming out with their very own ‘Trooper’ ale, a 4.7% beer with “Malt flavours and citric notes from a unique blend of Bobec, Goldings and Cascade hops.” The video announcing the new brew features lead singer Bruce Dickinson offering a tour of the Robinsons Unicorn brewery and explaining how the project came about. “As a fan of traditional English cask beer, I thought this could actually be something really exciting,” said the singer. “We could actually develop a proper, real, long-term beer.” Though the band had approached many receptive brewers with the idea, they eventually went with Robinsons due to their standards. “When we got in touch with Robinsons the great thing about [them] was what they wanted to know was were we serious about really brewing a long term beer, having a long-term relationship with the brewery and us,” said Dickinson in the video. “It was almost like we were on trial, it was like going on a job interview.” Though there’s no announced release date, fans can sign up for news at www.ironmaidenbeer.com.

http://www.ironmaidenbeer.com/