Stingers say goodbye to four players

Just as every season goes by, student athletes also come and go each year. This year, the Concordia Stingers women’s hockey team had to say goodbye to Emilie Bocchia, Veronique Laramee Paquette, Mallory Lawton and Laurie Proulx-Duperre, who hung up their skates after illustrious careers with the maroon and gold.

These girls have varied experience, from playing two seasons, all the way up to five. Some have had number changes and others kept the same one throughout their time with the Stingers. In the end, there is no doubt they will have left an impact on this now, much younger Concordia team.

Alternate captain Bocchia, for one, was unable to grasp at the notion of her career being over.

“It feels like it’s not over yet, I’ve reached my pinnacle,” said Bocchia, who played four years, and wore number 26 throughout. “I had a lot of fun being a part of this team. These are memories that won’t be forgotten.”

For Laramee-Paquette, she was only eligible to suit up for two seasons with Concordia after having played in the United States prior, but she still relished the opportunity.

“I’m now ready for a new challenge,” added Laramee-Paquette, following the team’s final regular season game against McGill. “I didn’t expect to finish my hockey career here in Montreal, but I’m glad I got to. It was truly a good life experience.”

Mallory Lawton has had Stinger blood in her way before her career with Concordia began in 2008, so her departure was emotional. She was named captain of the team prior to the start of this past season, and she wore the ‘C’ proudly on her jersey.

“I’m not yet ready to give it up, it still hasn’t sunk in,” explained Lawton. “I would’ve preferred a better ending, but the program [at Concordia] is so prestigious, the experience itself was so worthwhile.”

The lone defender in the crop of retirees, Proulx-Duperre played her five years at Concordia establishing herself as a leader amongst blueliners.

The departures signify that change for the Stingers hockey squad is close. While head coach Les Lawton has already made one signing, Dawson College’s forward Jesse Keca, there are a few empty spaces on the roster.

Players who missed the majority of the season with an injury will almost act as new recruits. Forward Erica Porter missed the first half of the season, and Danielle Scarlett missed the entire season.

When training camp opens in the summer it’ll be interesting to see what will become of the team who only managed two victories throughout the 2012-13 season.