Experience the city and Concordia at CSU orientation

Graphic from Press.

A new school year means, among other things, that the Concordia Student Union has an array of orientation events lined up geared towards first year students. The CSU wants to share their passion for Montreal’s liveliness with the university’s vast student population. This year’s orientation theme, “Experience,” is inspired by Montreal’s Expo 67. Spanning two weeks, orientation events last until Sept. 12.

A concert in Jean Drapeau Park, the site of Expo 67, has been planned by the CSU in collaboration with Commerce and Administration Students’ Association (CASA) for Sept. 6. While the performers have yet to be announced, the CSU promises “the most memorable concert to date.”

Students will have fuel to get through the first two weeks of school, as free coffee from Café Santropol will be available at both the Loyola and Sir George Williams campuses.

To kick off the string of events, free breakfast including Fairmount bagels will be served just outside the Hall building on the first day of classes. Later in the week, on Sept. 10, there will be an all-you-can-eat breakfast where students can put faces to the names of members and executives from CASA, ASFA, FASA and the ECA, who will be there to meet them.

CSU and überculture, a diverse group of creative-types made up of Concordia students and alumni, will host an art fair on Sept. 4 and 5 where students can discover and pick up unique pieces at a low cost. The group’s campaign to “empower independent art, media and culture” will be supported at the fair.

At the Open Air Pub behind Reggie’s, students can attend different daily activities including henna workshops on Sept. 3 and the CJLO record sale on Sept. 9. The pub will stay open until 2 a.m. on Sept. 5, marking the first of Reggie’s weekly Thirsty Thursdays.

Reggie’s is also the locale for the Sustainable Food Fest on Sept. 11 from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m., where students can help themselves to locally produced goods and support sustainability. A little later that evening at Reggie’s, students’ talent in poetry and comedy will be highlighted at the Poetry Slam and Open Mic Night.

Before the summer ends, students can relax at least once more on a rooftop terrace. On Sept. 9, a jazz cocktail event with live music will take place downtown on the 11th floor and terrace of the EV building, where students will be given two free drinks.

The Loyola BBQ on Sept. 4 is where students can try their hand at ultimate frisbee then feast on burgers (meat or veggie) and popsicles. The CSU and ASFA along with another club, which has not yet been announced, will host a cultural night at The Hive, also at Loyola Campus, on Sept. 10. The secret club will be serving traditional food.

After eating and lounging, students might be eager to get a little more active. To suit those needs, free pole dancing and kickboxing introductory classes will be held on Sept. 10 in the Hall building. At the Loyola Chapel on Sept. 11, the John Molson Sustainable Business Group is hosting a free yoga class. If students fall in love with an activity, they can register for regular classes at both gyms.

To end the orientation, on Sept. 12, there’s an ’80s dance party in the Hall building as well as a ’90s themed final party at Reggie’s. The CSU invites students to slip back in time and indulge in nostalgia before settling back into what can quickly become a hectic new school year.

For more information and the complete schedule, visit csuorientation.com

1. quick correction: the überculture & CSU art market is held on both Sept. 4 & 5! (not just Sept. 4)