Krewella climbs to the top of the electronic music charts

Krewella press photo

In today’s rapidly evolving pop culture, artists need to be versatile in order to make it big. It isn’t about being solely a musician, a painter, or a singer anymore; today, you need to be perfect. Electronic trio Krewella has seized that mentality with a perfect score.

Krewella press photo

Climbing to the number one spot last week on Billboard’s Dance/Club Play Songs list, the eclectic electro-punk trio has been surprising the world on all fronts. Known best for their singles, “Alive” and “Live For The Night,” Krewella has flowed through the mainstream airwaves and has generated over 18 million views on Youtube and garnered well over 175,000 subscribers.

With Columbia Records backing them they have ventured on numerous world tours and have played at some of the most prominent music festivals, such as Electric Daisy Carnival in Los Angeles, Ultra Music Festival in Miami as well as the infamous Tomorrowland festival in Belgium.

The Chicago-based team has also collaborated with a variety of producers and DJs such as Montreal electronic duo Adventure Club, as well as other big name players like Hardwell, Nicky Romero, Skrillex, Zedd, and Knife Party. With their brand new top-charting album Get Wet, the trio have embarked on a completely sold out 55-day world tour.

The band itself consists of three members, Jahan Yousaf, Yasmine Yousaf, and Kris Trindl. All three play a crucial role to the success of the “Krew.” Yasmine and Jahan are the lead vocalists as well as the DJs for the live performances, whereas Kris is the “behind-the-scenes” producer.

“The dynamic is really important for the infrastructure of Krewella,” said Jahan. “There was a point when we knew we needed to drop everything for the band. At the time, we were working simple jobs and my sister was in college. When we knew that this is what we wanted to do with our lives, we dropped the entire world in order to devote our time.”

Two years later, their single “Alive” hit mainstream airwaves.

When asked about how underground artists should attack the world in order to get exposure, Jahan advised not to “follow in anyone’s footsteps. Maybe analyze them to better yourself, but your path needs to be unique and organic.”

She added, “the infrastructure that you build over years of being an artist is what makes you who you are artistically and that is unique for all [artists] who have made it big. Just be you and people will follow.”

Their latest album truly exemplifies this concept, especially with tracks like “Human.”

Although the band is known for their upbeat and positive music, this song is very deep and emotional, unlike the rest of the album. For artists, it is necessary to be versatile and Krewella has truly shown that through Get Wet; the album invokes a wide spectrum of emotions and energy and is definitely worth a listen.

Krewella has been touring on their Get Wet Live Tour since the album was released on Sept. 24. They will be touring partially in Canada with Seven Lions, an electro-dubstep group signed to Skrillex’s OWSLA Records.

From their two EPs, Play Hard and Play Harder, to their new album, Get Wet, we can definitely expect some more Krewella masterpieces in the future. If ever you should feel like your life has been missing some excitement and adventure, a healthy dose of Krewella is definitely recommended as soon as possible.

Krewella will be at the Telus Theatre on Oct.24.

photo caption: Electronic trio Krewella released their latest album Get Wet on Sept. 24.