The game that got away against McGill

Photo by Keith Race.
Photo by Keith Race.

The Concordia lacrosse team suffered a thumping 23-1 loss in their third game of the season against the defending national champions the McGill Redmen.

The game got off to a rough start as Concordia got into penalty trouble early. Dimitri Lappos was called three minutes in for slashing. The penalty cost them an early goal as Rufus Frost slammed it past Concordia goalkeeper Louis Grimes. Less than 30 seconds later, Spencer Bromley got a pass from Leland De Langley and scored to put McGill up 2-0 in a span of one minute.

Two minutes later, De Langley got a goal of his own to put McGill 3-0 over Concordia. Conrad Keeble was called for slashing and it didn’t take long for McGill to reply as Anders Bjella got a pass from Brandon McLean and shot it into the back of the net. The game was really getting out of hand for Concordia as three minutes later, Bromley got another one past the Concordia goalkeeper.

The goals unfortunately kept coming as De Langley scored again with a superb pass from Bjella. At this point it was already 6-0 McGill and they didn’t slow down. The Concordia offense seemed to struggle to get in the offensive zone and the penalties kept coming. Xavier Poirier was called for slashing, resulting in another McGill goal from Bromley not even 30 seconds into the penalty. After that, Christian Carter got a late goal at the end of the first quarter.

Photo by Keith Race.

In the second quarter, it was already 8-0 for McGill. Thirty seconds into the quarter, Rhys Burnell added a goal. Three minutes later De Langley scored again to make it a lead of double digits. McGill received a rare penalty when De Langley made a slash and was sent to the box for one minute. That didn’t seem to get him down as he got out of the box and went on to record his third goal at 11:10 of the second quarter. Burnell added his second goal of the night four minutes later. Not even 20 seconds later, Burnell scored again to also record a hat trick with the assist coming from De Langley.

The goals kept coming as Bohe Hosking scored a goal to make it 14-0. With no end in sight, the whistle blew signaling halftime.

Concordia finally got on the board five minutes into the third quarter as Poirier got a good shot on net and it went in to break the ice for Concordia. It didn’t take long for McGill to respond as two minutes later Hosking got another goal to make it 15-1 for McGill. Frost, De Langley, Daniel Maffezzoli and Christian Barker each added goals for McGill by the end of the third quarter, making it 19-1 McGill.

Goals from McGill were scored at the 19th, 18th and 15th minute from Bromley, Matthew Tse and Bradley Hofman, respectively. Concordia looked tired and started making mistakes. Poirier was called for an illegal body check which cost them another goal by Spencer Bromley with another assist from De Langley. That was the last goal of the night as the game ended with a disappointing 23-1 loss against the Redmen.

“We had a very rough start, we were undisciplined, and we lacked in areas that were needed like offense and defense,” said Concordia head coach Mike Taddeo.

“We managed a very slow start to the game. Louis Grimes made some good saves when we needed it, we picked things up in the fourth quarter and I saw some good stuff for the third game of the season,” added midfielder Brenden Di Vittori.


Related Posts