Editors’ music picks

Curious to get to know your friendly staff here at The Concordian? Check out what musical masterpieces we are currently craving and what jams we can’t live without.

“The latest Arctic Monkeys album, AM, came out in September and I’ve had it on constant replay since then. I’m completely and utterly obsessed with every track on this record: it’s definitely the Sheffield lads’ best since their 2006 debut Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not. If you haven’t listened to it yet, drop absolutely everything you’re doing and check out ‘One For the Road’ and ‘Arabella.’ You’ll thank me later.”

-Jessica Romera, Music editor

“I’m currently really loving Kodaline’s music. They’re an Irish indie-alternative rock group and they are just lovely!  They’ve been around for a while, under a different name, but changed it up and released their album this year. They haven’t gotten too much coverage on this side of the pond, but I say watch out for these guys. If you’ve never heard them check out ‘All I Want’ and ‘All Comes Down’ for starters.”

-Casandra De Masi, Opinions editor

“I’m really into blonde female alternative rockers right now: Metric, The Sounds, Florence+ The Machine, The Asteroids Galaxy Tour. It’s music I can dance to on my walk home. It’s upbeat and uplifting and just makes me feel joyous.”

-Amanda Shore, Editor-in-chief

“I’ve been listening to Half Moon Run often these days. On their debut album Dark Eyes, the first two songs ‘Full Circle’ and ‘Call me in the Afternoon’ are especially catchy and I like that each song has quite a different feel from the others. Plus, they’re a Canadian band based in Montreal.”

-Kelly Duval, Co-news editor

“This month has been the month of pop music for me. I can’t seem to get everything on the Top 40 out of my head and I’m not embarrassed to say I’m loving it. Favourites: Justin Timberlake’s ‘TKO,’ Lady Gaga’s ‘Applause’ and Drake’s ‘Hold on, We’re Going Home.’”

-Natasha Taggart, Online editor

“Indie-flavoured pop band Bastille has been getting me through this chilly weather. Their best selling single ‘Pompeii’ is just one of the many great songs on the album titled Bad Blood. The acoustic Live in Paris version of ‘Flaws’ is flawless in fact and on repeat right now. Dan Smith’s vocals soar straight to my soul and what makes Bastille even better is their killer cover of TLC’s ‘No Scrubs’ and Miley’s ‘We Can’t Stop.’”

-Sabrina Giancioppi, Life editor

“I should’ve been born in the ‘40s. My ears just can’t digest anything other than jazz and blues. Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Sarah Vaughan. Sometimes, however, I come across a contemporary artist with an old-timey blues soul. Recently, I stumbled upon Paolo Nutini. ‘Loving you’ and ‘Million Faces’ are especially lovely.”

-Roa Abdel-Gawad, Arts editor

“I really haven’t been listening to new music. It’s just a mix of Bob Dylan, Radiohead, Velvet Underground and CBC radio 3.”

-Keith Race, Photo editor

“Lately I’ve been going back to some classics. The album Rumors by Fleetwood Mac has been playing on repeat in my car for the past few weeks. It never gets old!”

-Nathalie Laflamme, Production manager

“Right now I’m really loving the New York-based duo MS MR. Their style, indie pop, is super mellow and easy on the ears anytime of the day. I’m just starting to listen to their latest album Secondhand Rapture, but what hooked me was their four track 2012 debut EP Candy Bar Creep Show. The tracks I’d recommend are ‘Bones’ and ‘Hurricane.’”

-Christina Rowan, Copy editor