Second annual Santa Supply Chain

Press Photo

On Thursday Nov. 21st, Concordia’s Decision Science Student Association (DSSA) will host the Santa Supply Chain, the proceeds of which will go to help benefit the Saint-Vincent-de-Paul Society of Montreal and Montreal Community Cares.

Made up of 13 members, the organization prides itself on bringing together students from various fields to create opportunities to use the practical and theoretical aspects from their disciplines. Press Photo

For the second year in a row, John Molson School of Business (JMSB) students from the faculties of Business Technology Management and Business Operations Management will be getting together to collect donations for the less fortunate.

The DSSA will be holding the event in the lobby of the MB building at the Sir George Williams Campus. Accepting donations of toys, canned goods and personal hygiene products, the donated items will be packaged by Concordia students into boxes and decorated for the holiday season. Last year, the students were able to collect 318 boxes. This year they hope to increase their total to 500 boxes.

At the event, 15 students will be volunteering to collect donations and wrap boxes. The students will also be providing information about the event, selling raffle tickets and making cards. Each box will contain roughly five items for the holidays. A typical box might include, a key chain, puzzle, stuffed animal, a toothbrush and some canned food. There will also be members of the Montreal Alouettes and the Concordia Stingers helping to wrap boxes.
The DSSA is one of the youngest associations at Concordia’s JMSB. DSSA’s Director of Corporate Relations, Alexandra English, told The Concordian “It’s about inspiring future young leaders by emphasizing the importance and integrative nature of Business Technology Management and Supply Chain Operations Management.”

One of the supporters and benefactors of this event is Professor Brent Pearce whose foundation, the Brent Pearce Foundation, makes it their mission to help put a smile on the faces of less fortunate children on Christmas. The foundation’s proceeds, some of which will come from the Santa Supply Chain, go to  the Saint-Vincent-de-Paul Society of Montreal. The foundation hopes to help underprivileged families in the Verdun and Pointe Saint-Charles area. Many of the proceeds will be going to single parent households who otherwise would not be able to put gifts under their trees.

Professor Pearce has been teaching at Concordia’s JMSB for close to 35 years. During his tenure he has taught many courses, including Product Innovation and Strategy as well as Direct Response Marketing. Throughout his career he has been a maverick in the healthcare and consumer goods industry.

If you or anyone you know would like to help, stop by the MB lobby on Nov. 21 between 10:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. and bring a toy, canned good or personal hygiene product for the Christmas boxes. For further questions feel free to contact the DSSA at [email protected].