Sports in the News – Nov. 5, 2013

Three wins in under a decade

The Boston Red Sox have won their third championship since 2004, yet it was the first one they won at home since 1918. This was a series with the St. Louis Cardinals that went back and forth through the first five games with a lot of odd finishes. For example, a reversal call in game one swung momentum Boston’s way and an obstruction call ended with a Cardinals win. Then in game four we saw a pick off attempt in the ninth inning by a Red Sox pitcher with two outs, catching a Cardinal off the base to end the game. But the game six finale was much less dramatic. The Red Sox solved Cardinals rookie pitcher Michael Wacha early and often, which led to a 6-1 decisive win to take the world title.

A blizzard in Colorado

Colorado Avalanche goaltender Semyon Varlamov was charged last week with second degree kidnapping and third degree assault, according to CBC. He allegedly did this to his girlfriend, who in a recent interview said he might have a drinking problem. Things got more interesting when it was announced that he would keep playing after he was released on a $5,000 bail. He played Friday night in Dallas against the Stars and won the game 3-2.

CFL playoffs are set

The regular season ended Saturday night and and the Canadian Football League are down to six teams looking to punch their ticket to the Grey Cup in Saskatchewan. The eastern semi-final will be the Montreal Alouettes going on the road to face the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, the winner will go on to play the Toronto Argonauts. As for the west, the B.C. Lions will travel to Saskatchewan to take on the Roughriders, where the winner will take on the Calgary Stampeders. The games will be on Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. and they can both be seen on TSN and RDS.