Concordia dominated by Queen’s in Theresa Humes Tournament

The Stingers were looking to finish the weekend and the Theresa Humes Tournament with a good result but came up short, losing 5-0 to the Queen’s Gaels on Sunday, Jan.5.

Queen’s was quick to take the lead in the first period as they capitalized on the power play after Stingers right winger, Jaymee Shell, was called for a hit to the head. Forward Jessica Wakefield got the goal for the Gaels. Barely three minutes later, Queen’s doubled their lead when forward Megan Farrell got a pass from Wakefield and got a quick shot past Stingers’ goalie, Carolanne Lavoie-Pilon.

It didn’t get any better for the Stingers when three minutes later Tracy-Ann Lavigne got a penalty for body checking. Once again, Queen’s scored a power play goal as Wakefield’s slap shot beat Lavoie-Pilon for her second of the game. After allowing three goals on seven shots, Stingers head coach, Les Lawton, pulled Lavoie-Pilon for backup goaltender, Frederike Berger-Lebel. Concordia trailed 3-0 after 20 minutes.

After starting the second period shorthanded, the Stingers were able to kill off the penalty. But the Queens added to their lead when centre Emily Gervais got a good shot past Berger-Lebel.

The Stingers had a chance to go on the powerplay when Gaels defenceman Danielle Girard was called for tripping, but Concordia couldn’t get the puck past Queen’s goaltender Caitlyn Lahonen.

After adding another goal to make it 4-0, another goal by Wakefield gave Queen’s a commanding 5-0 lead, a lead the Gaels took to the second intermission.

The third period was scoreless for both teams even though Concordia threw everything at Lahonen but failed to get a puck past her.

After the game, Lawton said “it was a tough game, we weren’t ready, we had some goaltending issues and we are still getting back into it after the six-week layoff.

“We played better in the second half but we [still] played sloppy,” said defenceman Mary-Jane Roper. “But our defence did a good job, only allowing 37 shots all tournament.”