Concordia plays hard but can’t beat York

Photo by Brianna Thicke
Photo by Brianna Thicke

After a six-week break, the Concordia Stingers women’s hockey team got back into action in the 34th annual Theresa Humes Women’s Hockey Tournament, but lost 3-2 to the York Lions on Friday, Jan. 3.

The game started off well as both teams got serious chances to open the scoring. The game had a good flow as there was no whistle for the first 10 minutes of the game. With three minutes left in the first period, Concordia took a late penalty when right winger Jaymee Shell was called for interference.

York responded one minute later on the powerplay when forward Kiri Langford got a pass from defenceman Lindsay Brook and got a squeaker past Stinger goaltender Carolanne Lavoie-Pilon.

With 46 seconds left in the first period, Concordia got into more penalty trouble when Alyssa Sherrard got called for roughing.

Not even 20 seconds into the Lions powerplay, York forward Rianna Langford got called for tripping. The period ended with York up 1-0.

The second period started with some 4-on-4 play and York scored 35 seconds into the period when defenceman Kristen Barbara got a quick pass from Kiri Langford and got a good shot that went five-hole through Lavoie-Pilon, doubling their lead to 2-0.

Nine minutes later, Concordia got another penalty when left winger Audrey Morand got called for tripping. Luckily the Stingers were able to kill off the penalty and a couple of minutes later got a chance to go on the powerplay when York forward Rianna Langford got called for slashing. Concordia capitalized on the powerplay when defenceman Gabrielle Meilleur got a good shot past York goaltender Megan Lee. Not even a minute later, Concordia tied the game at two when Shell tipped in a shot into the back of the net.

As the Stingers looked to score the game-winning goal to ice the game, they got a chance when York got called for another penalty to Rianna Langford for hooking.

Concordia played a solid power play but couldn’t solve the York goalie. Not even 30 seconds after the York penalty was called Concordia got a penalty when defenceman Emily Even was sent to the box for tripping.

One minute later Concordia got another penalty when centre Jesse Keca got called for cross checking. This penalty ended up costing Concordia the game as York went to work on their powerplay and got the tie breaker when defenceman Sarai Whitty got a shot off Lavoie-Pilon’s helmet and into the back of the net.

Concordia tried to get back into the game but couldn’t get the equalizer back. The game ended with a final score 3-2 for the Lions.

“I think today we were a bit rusty after a six-week layoff,” said Stingers head coach Les Lawton. “[But] it was a good way to get back and we are just using this game as a springboard to get back into action.”



Related Posts