Music in the News – Jan. 14, 2014

Flavor Flav arrested over 16 license suspensions

William Drayton, better known as Public Enemy rapper, “Flavor Flav,” was arrested last week for driving with over a dozen suspensions on his license. According to a New York State Police statement, the rapper was also in possession of “a small amount of marijuana.” Drayton was quickly released despite the suspensions and illegal substance possession, because he was allegedly driving to his mother’s funeral, according to Rolling Stone. Drayton has previously been arrested several times over driving offenses and is due in court at the end of January.

Miley Cyrus’ and Britney Spears’ music videos banned on French daytime TV

According to NME, Britney Spears’ and Miley Cyrus’ music videos are too risqué for primetime TV in France. The Conseil Superieur de l’Audiovisuel (CSA), the French equivalent of the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission, has deemed Cyrus’ “Wrecking Ball” and Spears’ “Work B*tch” too controversial to be aired before 10 p.m. on television.

Beyonce speaks to gender equality

In a new collection of essays called The Shriver Report: A Woman’s Nation Pushes Back from the Brink; Beyonce Knowles tells all her single ladies that gender equality is a myth. A self-described “modern-day feminist”, Mrs.Knowles called upon men to join women in the push for true equality and show women that they can earn the same, or more, than their male-counterparts.

OutKast to reunite at Coachella

Coachella recently revealed its 2014 lineup: Arcade Fire, Muse, and OutKast will be headlining the famous summer festival confirming the rumors that circulated last November of a potential OutKast reunion. Nearly 20 years ago, OutKast released their debut album, Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik, in April of 1994. They will be returning to the stage in over 40 festivals worldwide this year, leaving Montrealers with fingers crossed that Osheaga may be on that list.

New York square could get a Beastie flare

The corner of Ludlow and Rivington Street in New York City will potentially be renamed “Beastie Boy Square,” according to Rolling Stone. The corner featured on the New York rap group’s album Paul’s Boutique is located in the Lower East Side and prompted a “superfan” to set up an online petition to get the corner renamed. The Community Board and the City Council will vote on the matter on Tuesday.