Sports in the News – Jan. 21, 2014

Broncos are off to New Jersey

The Denver Broncos are advancing to the Super Bowl after a 26-16 victory over the visiting New England Patriots. Broncos quarterback, Peyton Manning, completed nearly 75 per cent of his passes with 400 yards passing and two touchdowns. He connected with eight different receivers. Receivers Demaryius Thomas and Julius Thomas combined for 219 yards. The Denver defence stepped up big Sunday afternoon. They held New England to three points in the first half and came up with two big sacks when the Patriots were threatening down the field to keep them out of scoring position. The Patriots quarterback, Tom Brady, had solid numbers but a lot of it came in the fourth quarter. Brady also had crucial plays where receivers were open but wasn’t able to put the ball in their hands. The Patriots defence couldn’t get off the field and were dealt a huge blow when their best cornerback Aqib Talib left the game with a rib injury and didn’t return.
Seattle advances to their first Super Bowl since 2006

It was very much a tale of two halves in the NFC championship game in Seattle. The San Francisco 49ers had a great first half and held Seattle to only a field goal and had a 10-3 lead going into half time. Yet in the second half, the Seahawks offence woke up with three field goals and two touchdowns and held the 49ers to only a touchdown. The final score was 23-17 Seahawks. The turnover differential was a big advantage for the Seahawks. They forced two interceptions on 49ers quarterback, Colin Kaepernick, and a fumble.

Both number one seeds from the NFC and AFC will square off in Super Bowl XLVII on Sunday, Feb. 2 at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey. The Broncos will be heading to the Super Bowl for the first time since 1999, when they last won a championship. Seattle’s last appearance was in 2006 when they lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Saturday Night Fight

The Bell Centre was not the home of the Montreal Canadiens on Saturday night. Instead, it played host to two Montreal fighters, Lucien Bute taking on Jean Pascal. Pascal controlled the pace the majority of the fight. But in the 11th and 12th round, knowing he needed a knockout to win, Lucien Bute came at Pascal with a flurry of punches and put in more damage to Pascal in those two rounds compared to the first ten. Pascal did keep his ground long enough to survive the rounds and won the fight by decision.