Sports in the news – Jan. 7, 2014

Another fourth-place finish for Team Canada

For the second straight year, Team Canada has finished in fourth place at the World Junior Hockey Championships. Despite strong performances against the Americans on New Year’s Eve and the Swiss in the quarterfinals, the team lost their semi-final game to Finland 5-1 and then their bronze medal game 2-1 to Russia.

The gold medal game Sunday afternoon was between Sweden and underdog Finland. The game went into overtime when Finnish defenceman Rasmus Ristolainen potted the game winning goal, giving Finland their first gold medal since 1998.

Wild card weekend

The NFL playoffs provided four great games Saturday and Sunday with lots of lead changes and last-second victories. The first game was between the Kansas City Chiefs and the Indianapolis Colts on Saturday. At half-time it looked like the game would have been over with the Chiefs up a commanding 31-10. However, key injuries to Chiefs’ running back, Jamaal Charles, and others led to 35 second half points by the Colts, leading them to a 45-44 victory.

The second Saturday game saw the Philadelphia Eagles take on the New Orleans Saints. The Saints showed a balanced attack that got them into position with seconds left in the fourth quarter down 24-23. New Orleans kicker Shayne Graham kicked a game-winning 32-yard field goal with no time left to win 26-24.

The first Sunday game was between the San Diego Chargers and the Cincinnati Bengals. After a modest 10-7 score for the Bengals in the first half, two Andy Dalton interceptions along with one Dalton fumble and a fumble by the Bengals running back, Bernard, led to a 20-point second half by the Chargers and held the Bengals scoreless, giving San Diego the 27-10 win.

The second Sunday faceoff featured the Green Bay Packers and the San Francisco 49ers. Both teams traded scoring chances but a 33-yard field goal by kicker Phil Dawson was the game winner for the 49ers as they prevailed 23-20.

Preview of NFL divisional round

On Saturday, Jan. 11, New Orleans will travel to Seattle to take on NFC west division champions, the Seattle Seahawks, at 4:35 p.m.. The 8:15 p.m. game on Saturday will be a familiar AFC matchup between the Indianapolis Colts and the New England Patriots.

Sunday will feature a clash between the San Francisco 49ers and the NFC south division champions, the Carolina Panthers. The last game of the week will be between the San Diego Chargers and the Denver Broncos in Denver.