Top 10 albums to look out for in 2014

While 2013 brought us some unforgettable albums, there is a great deal of music that is already being eagerly anticipated for 2014. Although many artists have not divulged the details of their upcoming releases, make sure to keep an ear out for release dates.

Kanye West – TBA – summer 2014

Yeezus was consumed, debated, lauded and criticized at nauseam in 2013. Despite its critics, it received plenty of praise, which resulted in Yeezus reaching the top of many end-of-year music lists. So, it is only natural that we await with bated breath for West’s seventh studio album, due out in the summer of 2014. So far, all we know is that he will be recruiting super producer Rick Rubin, and A Tribe Called Quest’s Q-Tip for the project.

2. Frank Ocean – TBA – summer 2014

The Odd Future crooner gave the world one of the best R&B releases in a long time with 2012’s  channel ORANGE. While Ocean did have a quiet 2013 in comparison, he’s been hard at work creating new music, material we’ll hear “when summer comes round again,” according to a Q&A on Tumblr between Ocean and his fans in 2013.

3. Foo Fighters – TBA – Date TBA

Frontman Dave Grohl has announced that the Foo Fighters will begin recording a new album at the beginning of 2014, and that they’ve already written the lyrics for the album. During an interview at XFM radio station back in August, Grohl divulged that they’re doing the album “in a way that no one’s ever done before.”

4. Pusha T – King Push – Date TBA

Fresh off the success of his debut solo album, My Name Is My Name, Pusha T is already hard at work on a sophomore album, King Push, releasing photos of him in the studio with his production group, The Neptunes. It will be interesting to see how Pusha follows up from the brilliance of MNIMN.

5. Lana Del Rey – Ultra-Violence – Date TBA

Not much is known about Lana Del Rey’s Ultra-Violence album, the followup to 2012’s stellar Born To Die, other than the fact that it will be released sometime during 2014. Lana fans could sure use some new material from the songstress with hits like “Summertime Sadness” being played non-stop since since its release almost half a year ago.

6. U2 -TBA – April 2014

The Irish rockers are slated to release their first album since 2009, and their 13th to date, reportedly in April. Acclaimed producer Danger Mouse, one half of soul duo Gnarls Barkley, will be behind the recording of the album.

7. Wu-Tang Clan – A Better Tomorrow – Date TBA

The Wu-Tang Clan intended on releasing A Better Tomorrow in commemoration of the 20th anniversary of their debut album Enter the 36 Chambers. However, according to RZA, getting fellow member Raekwon (who is also slated to release an album in 2014) to attend recording sessions has been the reason for the delay, and may result in their last album together.

8. Johnny Cash – Out Among The Stars – March 25 2014

It was announced recently that an album featuring unreleased material from the late country music legend Johnny Cash will surface. The recordings from the 1980’s were shelved, only to be rediscovered by Cash’s son in 2012.

9. Multiple artists from the Top Dawg Entertainment label – dates TBA

Rapper Kendrick Lamar had an outstanding 2013 and is rumoured to record the followup to Good Kid, M.A.A.D City in January 2014. His label mates at Top Dawg Entertainment are also looking to do it big in 2014. Schoolboy Q, who has worked with A$AP Rocky, Macklemore and Mac Miller, will reportedly be releasing an album in February. California hip hop artist Ab-Soul recently submitted not one but two albums to the label. Jay Rock and newcomer Isaiah Rashad also plan on releasing albums. If you’re keeping score, that’s six albums due to drop in 2014 from, arguably, the hottest rap label right now.

10. Adele – TBA – Mid/late 2014

Back in March of 2013, Adele said she would only record a new album once there was something to sing about. This was months after her label XL Recordings said that her next album “may not come for some years.” However, it seems as if we may expect an album from the award-winning singer in 2014. She went back in the studio in 2013, working with many producers and songwriters, including OneRepublic’s Ryan Tedder.