Sports in the News – Feb. 25, 2014

Canada blanks Sweden, captures gold medal in men’s ice hockey

It wasn’t always pretty for Team Canada throughout the Olympic tournament, but with timely goals and defensive domination, Canada captured gold once again, after winning four years ago in Vancouver as well. In what was arguably the best defensive performance in Canadian history, Canada only allowed three goals throughout the entire tournament. Montreal Canadiens goaltender Carey Price was named top goalie of the Olympics. The Canadian media was critical of the Canadian forwards for not producing as much offensively, but when they were needed the most, three different goal scorers contributed to the gold medal win. Assistant captain Jonathan Toews scored the game’s opening goal with a one-timer after a great pass from linemate Jeff Carter. The second goal came from Canada’s captain Sidney Crosby. It was a great individual effort as Crosby caused a turnover at the Canadian blue line, and then stormed down the ice to finish off a breakaway with a deadly backhand. Chris Kunitz, whose selection was in question at some times, gave Canada an insurance goal late in the third period that sealed the deal. This was Canada’s third gold medal in men’s hockey since the NHL was allowed to play in 1998.

Finland captures bronze medal

In the bronze medal game on Saturday morning between Finland and the United States, no one could have predicted the game would turn out the way it did. After a 13-second span of two goals by the Fins, the game was practically over. Finland’s Olympic all-time points leader, Teemu Selanne, kicked off the scoring with a wicked backhander. Finland scored another three goals in the third period and the game ended 5-0. The American team simply seemed deflated after its heartbreaking 1-0 loss to Canada in the semifinals. This bronze medal is Finland’s fourth medal since 1998 which is the most out of any country.

Medal count

Canada has a lot to be proud of after these Winter Olympics as they finished third in the gold medal standings with 10 and an overall medal count of 25: 10 gold, 10 silver and five bronze; just one shy of their 26 medals from four years ago.

Going out in style  

Kaillie Humphries and Heather Moyse were selected to be the Canadian flag bearers for the closing ceremonies in Sochi. The two athletes are part of the two-women bobsleigh team and won one of Canada’s 10 gold medals in Sochi. They defended their title after taking home the gold in Vancouver four years ago.