Sports in the news – Feb. 4, 2014

Seahawks win Super Bowl title

The Seattle Seahawks have won their first championship in franchise history. On Sunday night, in one of the most shocking blowouts in Super Bowl history, Seattle beat the Denver Broncos 43-8. The game had the number one offence in the NFL in Denver going up against the number one ranked defence in Seattle. However,Denver simply could not solve the Seahawk defence, right from the game’s opening drive. Broncos QB Peyton Manning finished the game with two interceptions and a fumble, whereas the Seahawks were great in all three facets of the game. They caused four turnovers of the Broncos offence and even though Manning completed a Super Bowl record 34 passes, they could not stretch the field. They only averaged five yards per completion. The Seattle offence didn’t get enough credit for its impact on the game, with sophomore QB Russell Wilson throwing two touchdowns and running back Marshawn Lynch running one in for a touchdown. Yet, special teams might have had the most crushing play of the night that cemented the win and ended all possibility of a comeback.

Seahawks linebacker Malcolm Smith named Super Bowl MVP

Malcolm Smith came up with one of the defining moments in the game in the second quarter, returning a Peyton Manning interception 69 yards for a touchdown that made it 22-0 at the time. He’s the first defensive player to win MVP in 11 years. The last time it happened was Super Bowl XXXVII, when Dexter Jackson won it for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2003.

One week left in the NHL until Olympic break

The Montreal Canadiens will play three games this week before the Olympic break. The Habs will play on Tuesday against the Calgary Flames, Thursday against the Vancouver Canucks and Saturday against the Carolina Hurricanes. They return to action on Feb. 26 against the Detroit Red Wings.