Music in the News – March 18, 2014

Lady Gaga gets gagged on

At a recent performance, Lady Gaga was vomited on and then humped by performance artist Millie Brown, reports Rolling Stone. Gaga told Rolling Stone that this was art and “therefore worth it.” She compared the performance to the ideas of Martin Luther King and Andy Warhol, stating that, “Sometimes things that are really strange can save the world.” She clarified, however that she did not mean that vomit was going to change the world but that it was about respecting people as artists.

Celebrity moms to hawk healthcare

Mothers of celebrities like Jonah Hill, Alicia Keys, Adam Levine and Jennifer Lopez are being featured in a video that promotes enrollment in the Affordable Care Act, reports Rolling Stone. The video, entitled #YourMomCares, shows the mothers of these celebrities telling stories about their children and encouraging people to sign up so as not to give their own mothers “a nervous breakdown.” At the end of the video, Michelle Obama appears and states, “We nag because we love you.”

Sorry girls, Justin’s jewels will be censored

A judge ruled on Tuesday that videos of Justin Bieber in police custody that show him partially naked will be released, however his genitalia will be blacked out. According to The Globe and Mail the videos include clips of him giving a urine sample at a Miami jail in January. In compliance with Florida’s broad public records law, once evidence, including photographs and videos are given to the defence, they become public record. Nonetheless, the judge ruled that Bieber had the right to a certain amount of dignity. Three clips will be released immediately and the others will be held until technicians finish blocking out Bieber’s naughty bits.

Arcade Fire frontman weighs in on Quebec politics

Win Butler, frontman for the band Arcade Fire, told CBC News that given his experience with France, secularism is not a good option for the province to pursue. “I’ve spent a lot of time in France, and I don’t think that France is necessarily [the country] I would model my charter of anything after, because they have some major race problems and some major conflict there,” Butler told CBC. Pauline Marois has often cited the France model as inspiration for the creation of her secular charter. Despite Butler’s wariness of the avenue Quebec is possibly headed down, he is optimistic about Quebec’s future and has no plans to live anywhere else anytime soon.