Cover stories — judging the book by its cover

We stripped the titles off on each book and let our imagination run with the images

Gail always knew she was different. Her friends didn’t seem to say as much, but something always felt off. They would flutter around in groups playing. Whenever she came near they dropped out of the sky. Why was that?

Her friends always sat a few branches higher, mumbling about where she was born when they thought she wasn’t listening. Charlotte Utilities wasn’t the nicest home, but what of it? Her father seemed nice enough.

Well he was until the day he approached her with this odd look in his eye. He had this odd branch in his hand. It glistened, she could still see it in her mind. It hurt to think about it, about what he did to her. Is that what everyone was chirping about?

But she was just like everyone else. Well as long as they didn’t get too close. As long as they didn’t touch her. As long as …

Gail looked around, everyone had taken off. Hurriedly she stretched her wings to follow. Why are they always doing that anyways?

Ed note: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, by Philip K. Dick, is a post-apocalyptic tale about a bounty-hunter on a mission to retire androids.

-Robin Stanford

This is the story of Death, the one we fear the most as he is the one who brings souls to the other side.

His task is simple, he decides to take a new, different approach. Instead of just taking Caroline to the other side with him, Death wants her to have one last moment of happiness, one she will remember forever. They end up having such a great time together and lose track of the hour. Though Caroline is not scared of the other side, Death did not bring a soul today and he must pay the price.he must bring one soul to the other side, every day, without exception. Today would be like any other day, except he must bring Caroline, the love of his life. He is unsure of how he will be able to perform such a task. After seeing her, h

Ed note: The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak, is set in Germany during World War II. It is the story of an adopted young girl whose hobby is stealing books.

-Mathieu Demers

A Life Behind Fences is the story of one anonymous John Doe and his ordeal through a minimum security prison in Massachusetts. After being incarcerated for repeated petty offenses, John begins his trek through the judicial system of America.

Although mostly written in the first person, journal entries litter the book, providing a very personal connection between the reader and John. The first part of the book allows readers to take part in John’s steady coming to terms with his life behind the fence. But the story takes a surprising twist, when John is finally released from incarceration and back into society.

The second part of the book follows John’s re-introduction into society after a few years behind bars. His journey takes us through his attempts at finding housing, work and a partner. Upon meeting repeated obstacles and constant failure and rejection though, John ultimately relapses into a life of petty crime, and the book ends after his second arrest.

A Life Behind Fences is a ‘true-fiction’, a story told in real life that illustrates how the system treats its inmates and how it affects their chance at rehabilitation after doing their time.

Ed note: Harper Lee’s To Kill A Mockingbird, is the famous story of Scout and her father, Atticus Finch, set in the deep American South.

-Jocelyn Beaudet