Top 10 End of the year songs

10. “Photograph” – Nickelback

While few people anywhere on the face of the earth would ever admit to being a Nickelback fan in public, most people have teared up listening to this song. This song speaks to your inner teen reminding you that growing up and leaving home isn’t easy for anyone, especially not for lead singer Chad Kroeger.

9. “Forever Young” – Bob Dylan

Staying young at heart is something that many want, but few can actually achieve. This song is good for graduation, but keep it around for the next few years in case your soul-sucking career gets you down and destroys any notion you had of sleep and free time.

8. “Fight For Your Right (to Party)” – The Beastie Boys

What many people don’t know is that this Beastie Boys song was meant to be a joke. But it turns out the joke’s on them because this tune is the perfect way to start any party. After a long year of test-taking, homework and class, we can all use a party or two…or 17.

7. “Graduation (Friends Forever)” – Vitamin C

A good dose of teenage dramatics and early 2000s pop make this a timeless classic and musical masterpiece. Just kidding, this song is a cheese-fest but as the name suggests, it sums up the feelings of graduation pretty well.

6. “We Are the Champions” – Queen

Whether you’re leaving Concordia with a B.A., a PhD or are simply proud of your semester, this song can make any scale of triumph a victory for the ages. Even if you failed a few classes, there’s always next semester and that’s something to celebrate.

5. “Stairway to Heaven”- Led Zeppelin

While there is no prom in university, if there was one, we can almost guarantee that this song would play at some point throughout the night. Whether your high school prom was in 1975 or last year, you definitely slow danced to this one.

4. “Don’t You (Forget About Me)” – Simple Minds

This ‘80s classic ended The Breakfast Club in style. Anyone walking out of their last final exam should pump up this jam and throw a fist in the air to celebrate. (Bonus ‘80s points if you’re listening to it on a Walkman while wearing a neon track suit and high-fiving a Ninja Turtle of your choosing.)

3. “Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)” – Green Day

This song is so steeped in sentimentality that its name alone can be enough to conjure up a few tears. Any graduation or ‘moving-on’ ceremony would be incomplete without this song about the roads we take and the life they create.

2. “School’s Out for Summer”- Alice Cooper

As Mr. Cooper so eloquently states “school’s out for summer” and for some of us “school’s out forever.” For those who simply cannot stand the thought of another minute spent in a classroom, this rock anthem understands you. Party on.

1. “Doin’ Time (Summertime)” by Sublime

While the last few days of school are good and all, what really matters is the next four months of vacation. Welcome to the wonderland of beach parties, movie marathons and unpaid internships known as summer. Enjoy it, you made it.