“Another Word for Gender” will open your eyes to sex and gender inequality issues

The Centre for Gender Advocacy invites you to take part in their thought-provoking series.

Concordia’s Centre for Gender Advocacy is aiming to open eyes, challenge perceptions, and inspire activism at their event series “Another Word for Gender,” which kicks off this week.

Entering its fourth year, the centre organizes a week-long stretch of thought-provoking lectures and expert-led seminars that cover a range of controversial themes relating to gender and sexuality. All lectures are free, open to the public, and take place at Concordia’s downtown campus or at specified locations nearby.

Despite a wide range of topics, the centre believes that there is resonance for every demographic of the student body and community in general.

“Even if a presenter’s particular experience is completely removed from your own life, there are ways of learning from the experiences of others and applying that insight to our own lives and our own communities,” said Julie Michaud, coordinator at the Centre for Gender Advocacy.

“Everyone has decisions to make in their life about sexuality, reproduction, being true to yourself, [and] fighting for justice,” said Michaud.

The events and workshops provide what Michaud refers to as a cross section of the types of issues that the Centre for Gender Advocacy handles daily. An open house event on Sept. 29 will allow students to interact with employees and volunteers at the centre, who will be dispensing information on the many ways to get involved.

“The great news is that the centre offers opportunities for those who do feel inspired by these events to get involved in a related campaign whether that’s with the Reproductive Justice League, Missing Justice, A Safer Concordia, or becoming a peer support volunteer,” said Michaud.

“Another Word for Gender” runs from Sept. 29 to Oct. 4.

Further details and locations of events can be found at genderadvocacy.org.

SEPT. 29—

The Porn Event (Talk and Q&A)

6:00-8:30 p.m.

Featuring trans, gender queer, Two Spirit, Black Boricua Taino filmmaker and activist Ignacio Rivera, AKA Papi Coxx, and Sarah Beall of MakeLoveNotPorn.tv. Together, they’ll discuss the topics of feminist porn, consent and porn culture, among others.

SEPT 30—

Gender, Disability and Sexuality: Real Talk with Accessibilize Montreal

6:00-8:00 p.m.

Taking a look at how people with disabilities or diverse ways of being are being short-changed in society, and how they operate outside the constraints of “normal” intimate and sexual relationships.

OCT 1—

Natural Cycles and Rhythms with Sonia Osorio

6:00-8:30 p.m.

An informative seminar about The Fertility Awareness Method (FAM)—a natural, cyclic form of birth control that prohibits the use of drugs or devices.

OCT 2—

Reproductive Justice Without Borders: Choice and Accessibility

6:00-8:30 p.m.

A panel discussion among a diverse group of experts about access—or lack of access—to abortion services, breastfeeding support, or basic reproductive health services.

OCT 3—

An Evening with Janet Mock: Gender, Race & Realness

6:00-8:30 p.m.

The keynote event of this year’s series, featuring New York Times’ bestselling author and trans activist Janet Mock, sharing her thoughts on topics of gender, race, and reproduction.

OCT 4—

9th Annual Memorial March and Vigil for Missing and Murdered Native Women

6:00-9:00 p.m.