Halloween 2014 – Fright night festivities

Get your spook on with these awesome upcoming Halloween parties!

Sexy voodoo blackout party
by Sara Baron-Goodman

Cirque de Boudoir will be hosting what they claim is “Montreal’s sexiest Halloween party” at Bain Mathieu on Oct. 31.

The venue itself is an old bath house turned nightlife venue, where the dancefloor is an emptied out pool. To add to the chilling atmosphere, the basement level will be lit only with black lights.

The theme of the night is Voodoo, and party-goers are strongly encouraged to dress accordingly. What does this mean exactly? According to their website, anything from Voodoo dolls to zombies to fetish attire will do. Cirque de Boudoir has a longstanding reputation for intricate theme parties, infused with an air of kink.

In addition to DJs Omni, Mary Hell and Davide, there will be Cirque de Boudoir go-go dancers and a slew of other performers.

Tickets are available online for $25 through ticketzone.com, with a high risk of selling out, so act fast!

Bain Mathieu is located at 2915 Ontario St. E.

First Kontakt will be an otherworldly experience
by Sara Baron-Goodman

First Kontakt will offer you an otherworldly experience at the Montreal Science Centre this Halloween night.

With a stellar lineup arranged of DJs Shlohmo, Rustie, and HU₵₵I, along with a secret guest whose identity has yet to be revealed, this is the event for trap lovers.

The theme, as you may have deduced, plays with the idea extraterrestrial contact with Earth. The Science Centre will be your intergalactic hub for the evening, so get ready to be sent reeling into outer space, against the backdrop of the Montreal skyline.

Costumes are mandatory, but don’t have to pay tribute to the theme — though of course, it is encouraged.

Tickets are available online or at Off The Hook for $35.

More information is available through kontaktmtl.com.

The Science Centre is located at 2 de la Commune St. W. in Old Montreal.

Party like an angsty UK youth
by Sara Baron-Goodman

The success of the early to mid 2000s British teen drama Skins has seen spinoff potential in the form of raves and raucous parties around the world, and in Montreal since 2009.

On Nov. 1, Skins X: Rave 2 The Grave promises to be just as much nitty-gritty and reckless fun as its predecessors.

The location has yet to be determined, and will only be revealed 24 hours in advance of the party so as to secure the underground authenticity of the event.

The acts on board include Pilo, Tom Deluxx, and Vakkuum, amongst a slew of others.

In true Skins fashion, the party will rage on all night, and is sure to be more grimy than gorey — in the best possible way.

All manner of costumes are allowed, but fans of the show are encouraged to get into the cult spirit and come inspired by their favourite characters.

Tickets are available online for $30 at wantickets.com.

Science fiction, double feature
by Sara Baron-Goodman

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure — this year, as always, The Rocky Horror Picture Show will be coming to the Imperial Theatre for Halloween weekend.

Whether you’re more of a Janet or a Frank-N-Furter, this 1970s cult classic musical is a favourite fringey Halloween tradition. Guests are invited to participate in the pre-show costume contest and watch the Montreal Rocky Horror actors perform a live show alongside the silver screen.

So grab your rice, toast, squirt guns and all, and let your freak flag fly high and proud.

Showtimes this year are Oct. 30, 31, and Nov. 1 at 8 or 11 p.m.

Tickets are available online through rockyhorrormontreal.com for $17.95, or at the door for $19.95. A $5 student discount is available, but only for the Oct. 30 show.

The Imperial Cinema is located at 1430 Bleury St.

Do you believe in ghosts? Experience Montreal’s haunted past
by Sabrina Ponzo

Ghost hunting tours in Old Montreal will have you spending this year’s Halloween exploring the darker side of the city’s streets.

You and your friends will hear mysterious stories and legends about crimes, witchcraft, hangings and other gruesome events from all the hidden corners of Old Montreal.

Choose between the Traditional Ghost Walk or, if you’re feeling brave, partake in the action-packed Ghost Hunt. You also get the choice between two ghost hunt themes, each with a different itinerary. The first is Montreal’s Historical Crime Scenes, the second the New France Ghost Hunt.

Regular ghost tours run every Saturday until Oct. 25and start at 8:30 p.m. Halloween ghost hunt dates are Oct. 30, 31 and Nov. 1, and begin at 6:30 p.m.

All tours are offered in both English and French and last 90 minutes. Private group Ghost Walks are available year round.

Cost is $18.50 for students with a valid ID.

To purchase tickets for this year’s tours, go to 360 St-Francois-Xavier St., between St. Paul St. W. and de la Commune St. (also accessible through Place d’Armes Metro). Remember to reserve tickets one hour to 15 minutes prior to the beginning of the tour.

For more information call 514-844-4021 or visit fantommontreal.com.

Fall down the rabbit hole at Malice in Wonderland
by Sabrina Ponzo

This Halloween night, the Commerce and Administration Students’ Association (CASAJMSB) invites you to embark into the mystery of its Malice in Wonderland event.

With its freaky tunes, psychedelic scenery, and unlimited candy bar, this year’s Hallow’s Eve will surely be one to remember.

The party will be held at the Olympia Theatre, located at 1004 Ste-Catherine St. E. Doors to the rabbit hole will open at 10 p.m. Be sure to bring your student ID card.

Michael Richardson, President of CASAJMSB, assured this year’s event will not disappoint.

“Each year, CASA adds a unique twist to their Halloween party,” said Richardson. “Last year’s “Voodoo Resurrection” was an incredible success and we expect the same amazing event quality in our much more spooky version of Wonderland.”

The event will feature two DJs and two openers, who will be in charge of making your night as entertaining as possible. As Richardson noted, it’ll all be thanks to the effort of the CASAJMSB members.

“Our events team has been hard at work planning the amazing décor, as well as a tip-included open bar,” said Richardson. “Of course, CASA’s famous candy bar will also be in full swing throughout the evening.”

Tier one tickets can be bought online for $35, with a $5 discount for sharing the event on Facebook. You can also purchase your tickets in person in the McConnell Building, in room 4.105.

With 45 per cent of tickets already sold and over 2,500 adventurers expected, don’t miss your chance to explore the darkness of Wonderland with your fellow Concordians!