Indigenous media seen from abroad

Visiting academic to discuss Nordic, Aboriginal media

Finnish media researcher and journalist Thomas Moring will give a pair of talks on Aboriginal and Nordic media on Oct. 22 and 23 as part of an ongoing speaker series by the Concordian Centre for Broadcasting and Journalism Studies (CCBS).

Concordia Centre for Broadcasting and Journalism Studies is a university-recognized research centre and media-related research archive with international reach.

The CCBS’s director and series organizer Mike Gasher said the lectures, aside from the educational value, serve as sparks for future research collaboration between members, of which Moring is one.

“Mostly we want to learn from him, and give him the opportunity to learn what his colleagues at the centre are working on,” said Gasher by e-mail.

Gasher considers the first talk as being of interest to anybody curious about the ever-evolving business models of the media in light of digitization and globalization, with the Nordic model being one of many.

“The topic of indigenous media is very pertinent. We talk a lot about contemporary society being highly mediated, in that it is through media—media of all kinds—that we experience and engage with the world. Media have given aboriginal peoples new visibility and a new voice,” said Gasher of the second talk.

The CCBS is set to host separate talks by scholar Rodney Benson and journalist Francine Pelletier before the end of the semester, with more unnamed presenters after the new year.

“The Media Business in the Nordic States,” will take place on Wednesday, Oct. 22 at noon in CJ 2.409 at the Loyola Campus.

“Indigenous Media: Questions of Culture, Identity and Language” will occur in the Atrium of the Samuel Bronfman Building of Concordia University, 1590 Docteur Penfield, on Thursday, Oct. 23 at noon.